What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ios 6 ipad 3

nixie21

iPF Noob
Reaction score
see the update but the download and install button is not active??? any ideas why I can't update?

thanks

Sent from my iPad using iPF

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Do you have enough storage space? You need 2.3 Gb free otherwise the update will not proceed.

OP
N

nixie21

iPF Noob
Reaction score
KevinJS said:
Do you have enough storage space? You need 2.3 Gb free otherwise the update will not proceed.

thanks... did not realize I was so short on space... cleared some older movies out and downloading now. appreciate the responses..

Sent from my iPad using iPF

JWolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have iPad 3 and 16 gb free
Try to install iOS 6 and get message
Unable to install
What's going on?

JWolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm connected to wifi
My iPad 3 is 64 gb with 16 free
Connected to ac adapter at 100 percent charged

Select software update
Then install
And I get the message unable to install update

It shows it's installed and greyed out

HELP
HELP
Please

Jeff

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hang on. Thinking this one through. Good for space. Good for charge and plugged in anyway.

Why not plug it into iTunes and do the update that way? Even OTA, you will download the whole OS, not just a patch. You ARE sure your wifi is up? Sometimes it will drop for no apparent reason.

Sent from my iPhone using iPF

JWolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wifi up typing to you on it now
Can't update from iTunes
Own an older PowerBook 17 that is ONLY OS 10.4.4

JWolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tried to DL iOS 6 first day it became available and it froze due to load on servers
Ten tried day after and wasn't plugged in and it stopped because I had less then 50 percent charge available for install

Trying again today and tells me unable to install
Yet it shows the iOS Description box above as iOS 6 installed and grayed out?

JWolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If I already ave iOS 6 supposedly installed, it only shows iOS 5.1.1

How can I access iOS 6?
Is it possible first times last week when I tried to install it actually installed??

Anyone have any ideas to reboot or something to get the iPad to show correct iOS?

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I think all you can do here is take the iPad to the Genius Bar and ask what to do now. If you don't have access to a computer, and the option is grayed out, it seems you are up a blind alley.

Are you able to backup to iCloud? And do you have your data safely in another location?

If so, it could be worth restoring to factory settings and starting again from scratch.

Sent from my iPhone using iPF

JWolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What does restoring to factory settings do? In other words what does it erase?
I have 100s of apps on here, dozens of videos I downloaded, and 100s of notes and files in Evernote and Dropbox on here.
Also using life tops productivity software and 100s of tasks, events, to dos etc in place.
Will I lose all of that info and files?
How do I make sure they are all backed up to the iCloud?

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
JWolf said:
What does restoring to factory settings do? In other words what does it erase?
I have 100s of apps on here, dozens of videos I downloaded, and 100s of notes and files in Evernote and Dropbox on here.
Also using life tops productivity software and 100s of tasks, events, to dos etc in place.
Will I lose all of that info and files?
How do I make sure they are all backed up to the iCloud?

It erases everything. That's why you need to make sure you have all of your data in at least one more place.

If you have that lot on there, restoring is not your best option. Have you got access to a computer you could use to do the update? Friends, or work, maybe? If it were mine, I would want a local backup somewhere.

Most reactions

Latest posts