What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

IOS 6 and you tube

Drofpets

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi to all,

I read somewhere that apple are not allowing you tube with the upcoming IOS 6, is this true because i will be hoping to update to the new os soon.

Thanks to all.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
YouTube will apparently not be a native app in iOS6. There will be a YouTube app available in the app store and you'll still be able to access it via Safari.

Sent from my iPhone using iPF

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Apple is not going to block YouTube. When Apple said they were going to drop the YouTube app they also announced that Google was working on a YouTube app that would be available in the App Store. Obviously they didn't just drop a bomb, they talked it over with Google first and the result was an agreement, not a continuation of the battle being fought in other areas.

Apple had some kind of licensing agreement with Google that allowed them to include the YouTube app in iOS. Understand, this agreement predates most of the third party support Google has included since the advent of iOS. For whatever reason Apple is not renewing the license, or Google won't renew it, I"m not sure which.

Apple wants to lessen it's dependence on Google who has increasingly become a rival because of the Android ecosystem. Google can and has limited Apple's access to Google's services; like with turn-by-turn in the Maps app. Google on the other hand wants full control of how it's services are presented, mostly the ability to present adds and collect data. Apple won't block Google, because it's too important a part of the internet and would cost them customers. Google will support Apple products (though maybe not as well as Android) because their users represent a huge portion of their profits in advertising.

Both Apple and Google are getting what they want with this move.

It remains to be seen if the Google YouTube app will be better than the mobile site; which was already better than Apples app as far as I'm concerned, even with the adds.

Last edited:

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
That's right enough. These companies may be belligerent, but they're not stupid. If something serves their own purposes, they'll do it, and apparently without embarrassment. QuickTime, for example, has been part of Windows since 3.1, and maybe even earlier, even though MS and Apple were going through some issues at the time.

iJamesH

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hopefully the app store version will be better.

vincent123

iPF Noob
Reaction score
just see youtube from safari ...
:p

[Moderator edit: Removed link to blog. Please read our rules. Thanks.]

Last edited by a moderator:

Sleaka J

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't see it on the Australian iTunes Store yet, but I believe the iPhone version of the new YouTube app from Google has just been released 50mins ago. Edit: Just downloaded it.

Last edited:

goofy8275

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I don't see it on the Australian iTunes Store yet, but I believe the iPhone version of the new YouTube app from Google has just been released 50mins ago. Edit: Just downloaded it.
How did you just download it? I don't see it in the app store.

darkangelwitch

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Sleaka J said:

I can't find it either!

Dark Angelwitch (Surrey)

goofy8275

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks twerppoet! The link worked, but it wouldn't show up in the search. Interesting. But even though only the iPhone version has been released, it WILL still work on iPad?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
When you do a search in the App Store (from the iPad) there should be two lists; one for the iPad and one for the iPhone. Right now the YouTube app is showing up on the first page of iPhone apps (when searching for 'youtube'), but it was probably necessary to choose See All earlier in the day. It did not show up on the first page of iTunes (on the Mac) the first time I looked.

So, unless you specifically chose See All for the iPhone apps, you would not have seen it listed.

The compatibility list says it is compatible with the iPad running at iOS 4.3 or later. Of course that will be in emulation mode, small or pixel doubled.

Just to be sure I downloaded it on my iPad. It works well enough, but I'll probably stick to the mobile site on the iPad until there is a native app for it.

Most reactions