What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ios 5 battery draining

PamelaOwain

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi don't know if anyone else is experiencing this but I updated to IOS 5 on my IPAD2 early yesterday and have since done so noticed my battery is draining so much quicker ??? Please tell me it's not just my IPAD !!!!! I love the new upgrade up don't understand why my battery is going so quick ?? Can anybody advise ? Thank you

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've been using mine pretty steadily since upgrading around noon on the 12th and haven't really noticed any difference. You might want to try closing all of your open apps. Some/most go into a "wait state" when you're not using them, but some continue to draw power and resources to function. Double click the home button, tap and hold any app icon until they all start to jiggle, then tap on the circled "minus" in the upper left-hand corner of each app.

If that doesn't help, try resetting your iPad. Hold down the power switch and home button until the slider appears on the screen and shut it down. Hold down the power switch again until the Apple logo appears. Fully booting up from a reset will take a little longer than a restart.

More here:

iPhone, iPad, iPod touch: Turning off and on (restarting) and resetting

Let us know if that helps. Others may have some more suggestions as well.

Welcome again and enjoy!

GoPackGo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My battery, I've found, drains really fast every once in awhile for a seemingly unknown reason. But today, for example, I had just as much juice as I usually get, 95% of the time. So iOS 5 didn't effect that for me.

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
A couple of things that can really affect battery life is heavy WiFi or 3G use, particularly if map/GPS apps are being used. Of course watching movies uses a lot of power. However the biggest drain on the battery is often the iPad's screen itself. The brighter the screen the faster the battery will drain. Often setting the iPad's screen brightness to 75% or even 50% will extend the battery life an hour and often more.

GoPackGo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
See, when I raised my brightness to about 35% (I usually have it on 15%) my battery started draining like crazy. So unless I need it brighter, I settle for the dim screen. :( And yeah, certain apps drain my battery. I was surprised though - I was on Skype for nearly 2 hours last night with my brother and the battery drained like 10%. Wtf @ that, that's incredible!

Most reactions