What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iOS 5 and 5.0.1 Upgrade Troubleshooting

mjla1715

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Syncing your iPad with iTunes will not cause an update/upgrade to iOS 5. You will always have to confirm that you want to upgrade either manually by clicking on the "Check for Update" button in iTunes or by confirming a pop-up if one appears.

Here's how to update:

http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-faq/50385-how-do-i-upgrade-ios-5-a.html#post345719

Prior to upgrading to iOS 5 you might want to take a look at these the tips in the first post:

iOS 5 Upgrade Troubleshooting

FWIW the iOS 5 upgrade to my iDevices went without a hitch.

Hope that helps!

Thanks so very much

leeandmyla

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Your advice to just try later is the best...I have tried all the other hints, so now I think I'll just chill and do it later. Thanks!

Vangooler

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I downloaded I tunes 10.5, then upgraded my wifes I phone with no problems, but when upgrading the I pad I sat through a couple of hours of activity only to be told that my windows based laptop had insufficcient memory to complete the process. I will now have to use someone elses laptop to carry out the process, till I can save up for a Mac. Expensive free upgrade or what!

kenppy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Two fingers on the space bar and pull apart. There are other ways.

Posted incorrectly a minute ago.

OP
R

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Been using an iPhone 4 and and iPad 2 with iOS 5 installed on both. Wouldn't wifi sync with my windows 7 machine. Did some web searching and sorted it out. Installed Bonjour for Windows and all is well now. Wi-Fi sync works perfect. Checkout this link and install Bonjour.

Troubleshooting iTunes Wi-Fi Sync Problems in Windows - Tech-Recipes
Great to hear things are working and thanks very much for the tip! Moving this to the iOS 5 Troubleshooting Thread for those that follow.

Thanks again!

Daily1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Upgraded to iOS5 after backing up the ipad. So far so good. However, all the YouTube favorites are gone and I can't seem to retrieve them.
Is there a way to find/open and read (quick peek?) enough to just get any information on the videos from the backup?

Thanks.

OP
R

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Upgraded to iOS5 after backing up the ipad. So far so good. However, all the YouTube favorites are gone and I can't seem to retrieve them.
Is there a way to find/open and read (quick peek?) enough to just get any information on the videos from the backup?

Thanks.
The only program that I know of that claims to be able to recover anything from an iOS backup is Picturescue. I've never used it so I can't say how well it works. It only claims to recover photos however and that doesn't sound like that's what you're looking for. Did you check your favorites list on your YouTube account itself?

OP
R

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No idea if it works. I ran across this a while ago, and saved the link just in case. No idea if it works as advertised.

iPhone Backup Extractor for Windows and Mac
That looks interesting. I'd like to see how well it works also. $25 is probably more than I'd want to pay to recover a YouTube playlist, but it might be worthwhile for more critical data.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
That looks interesting. I'd like to see how well it works also. $25 is probably more than I'd want to pay to recover a YouTube playlist, but it might be worthwhile for more critical data.

Pretty much how I feel. Sadly, my ignoble side almost wishes someone would lose something truly critical (and be lucky enough to have it in the backup) so that they would test it for me. ;)

badgersb

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok guys I live in Scotland and I have been trying now for days to upgrade and it times out every time........ My wife has been trying from her laptop.
So what I did was I switched of my Internet security on my wife's laptop and it upgraded rite away... I therefore switched of my own Internet security and my iPad upgraded aswell .. It took about two hours or so.. For each iPad.
My Internet security is kapersky...... Bothe iPads work fine now..

Hope this helps...

john.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts