What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

IOS 5.1 Update HOLLA!!!!!

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I dont' know. There could be several reasons. One, you are not already on a version of iOS 5.0. Two, It can't not connect to the OTA server (for unknown reasons). Third, some esoteric reason that defies explanation.

At any rate, my main point is that if you are getting an OTA update you don't connect to the computer at all. That's what OTA means. It also means you get a smaller (delta) update that only contains the changes from the older iOS version. If you connected to the computer you got a full update via iTunes (contains the entire new iOS system file); and you need the most up to date version of iTunes to do that.

Agreed. My laptop iTunes is at least a generation out of date, but I updated four iDevices OTA without prob. I never even turned on my laptop; it was irrelevant.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just upgraded my fifth iDevice. Took about 30 mins OTA for my husband's iPad 1 tonight. No hiccups.

OP
tlbaker

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
I dont' know. There could be several reasons. One, you are not already on a version of iOS 5.0. Two, It can't not connect to the OTA server (for unknown reasons). Third, some esoteric reason that defies explanation.

At any rate, my main point is that if you are getting an OTA update you don't connect to the computer at all. That's what OTA means. It also means you get a smaller (delta) update that only contains the changes from the older iOS version. If you connected to the computer you got a full update via iTunes (contains the entire new iOS system file); and you need the most up to date version of iTunes to do that.

I know what OTA means, I was able to update via wifi for 5.01. Who knows. Actually, I was able to update my iPhone OTA, strange. Oh well, I am up and running now.

Sent from my Verizon Black 64GB iPad 2 With IOS 5.1Update From NYC!!! using iPF

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Ok. Sorry, but I wasn't sure I was doing a good job of communicating. I tend to repeat myself when that happens.

Anyway, as you said, at least you got it working. :)

OP
tlbaker

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
Ok. Sorry, but I wasn't sure I was doing a good job of communicating. I tend to repeat myself when that happens.

Anyway, as you said, at least you got it working. :)

Oh no worries at all!! Thanks for the info as always ;)

mk4

iPF Noob
Reaction score
thanks for the responses so far.
i've got itunes 10.6 installed on my pc and my ipad2 is at ios5.01. i know i can attempt the ios5.1 update ota, but i'm still wondering if there is any kind of advantage to doing a cabled update via itunes vs the ota route. iow, do i lose anything by going ota? some level of backup, or maybe a better chance for recovery from a partial (but interrupted or failed) update?

thanks again.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
mk4 said:
thanks for the responses so far.
i've got itunes 10.6 installed on my pc and my ipad2 is at ios5.01. i know i can attempt the ios5.1 update ota, but i'm still wondering if there is any kind of advantage to doing a cabled update via itunes vs the ota route. iow, do i lose anything by going ota? some level of backup, or maybe a better chance for recovery from a partial (but interrupted or failed) update?

thanks again.

You don't lose anything, the OTA is smaller (size wise) because it's only updating the elements of iOS that have changed, whereas if you go through iTunes it starts from scratch.......you only really need to go via iTunes if for some reason you think that it's become corrupted.

The Archangel

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Personally I think your risk is lower with the OTA update. The very brevity of it leaves less time for things to go wrong, and the smaller amounts of data transferred means less chance of corruption. I'd do a backup first anyway; in iCloud if you can; if not then through iTunes.

Over all I've seen fewer complaint on the forum about this update than usual, and most of those are about not being able to start the update. Most who start it seem to finish quickly and without problems. Hold in mind the ratio of problem to success reporting is usually skewed in favor of problems. That's the nature of a support forum.

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I surely wish I could connect LOL. I've tried our two Ipads at various times, this morning at 5:40 AM thinking I would get on before the east coasters on a Saturday morning but alas--no luck. I'll keep trying but my 3 comes Friday so I'm less concerned. David's Ipad 1 never crashes (he doesn't 'push' his as I do) so its not much of an issue for him either but I'd still like to be up to date on firmware. I had no issues doing wireless for 5.0.1. I'm just guessing I am hitting wrong times. It took me forever to order my Ipad with both my PC and Ipad trying to connect and being dropped over and over, but persistence finally got me my order and acknowledgment so I'll persevere on this. I really don't want to even try Itunes to be truthful though I will have to do a backup, I guess, to 'restore' my new Ipad.

Diane

maryhattie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Diane B said:
I'm another who hasn't been able to connect at various times of the day. Have 2 Ipads to update, a Touch. Couldn't get Apple TV to connect for firmware update either. I'll keep trying but I have Ipad 3 coming next Friday so not too concerned.

Im still having problems as well.

OP
tlbaker

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
maryhattie said:
Im still having problems as well.

Can you call Apple? I had to call them for the 5.0 update for passwords and such.

larjan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Still not able to connect to update have tried many times during the day and evening and still no luck. Frustrating

larjan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am connecting through a verizon mi-fi wireless on 4G using my ipad. Don't have access to my computer until I am back home on Apr 5th. But will still be using my mi-fi.
I have had no problems in the past with updates (even the big one) using the mi-fi.

Most reactions

Latest posts