What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

IOS 5.1 Update HOLLA!!!!!

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
skimonkey said:
No way-10 minutes, GAb! That's some fast Myfi service! I haven't done mine yet, I probably wil do it soon-maybe tonight or tomorrow! :)

It was just too easy, started at 5:40am and first bit seemed really slow but by 5:50am it was all done and I was upgrading apps!

The Archangel

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I hope that mine will be just as fast as your's!

I heard that some apps like Pages needs the 5.1. I haven't checked it out yet. Did Skitch need the update as well?

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
skimonkey said:
I hope that mine will be just as fast as your's!

I heard that some apps like Pages needs the 5.1. I haven't checked it out yet. Did Skitch need the update as well?

To be honest, I can't remember, as soon as I had gone to iOS 5.1 I went to the App Store and "updated all".......I didn't look to see which ones they were!!!

The Archangel

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
No problem--I am going to check for mine tonight. I did see some updates already in the "Q" so it's already calling for attention!:rolleyes:

Purrson

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I usually wait. On updates on pc and ipad(original) and this one looked mostly for iPad 2? But did anyway, interesting everyones varied speed. I did it via my wifi, have a slow dsl but update just took 10-15 minutes start to finish. One unexpected happy result browsers no longer crashing! Happy camper here

Bluesjam

iPF Novice
Reaction score
No problems with OTA update. I had the Safari crash problem before and since I have not had one crash. I sure like being able to delete photos in PhotoStream.

larjan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Haven't been able to connect yet to update. It just keeps trying and trying and then says it can't connect. Well keep trying.

Mad_Maru

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Updated mine yesterday morning OTA just after 8am via wifi and with no issues and it took roughly 15 mins to complete. So happy with that I decided to do the iPhone 4 and it took a bit longer but no issues overall.

I found reception a bit off in certain areas after the update but a restart and all was good and no issues with either device so far.

Sent from my  iPad® using Tapatalk HD

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Finished my update on my ipad-took the average 20 minutes as everybody else...thank goodness! Now on to my touch and than updating itunes!

I must have about 15 apps that are all waiting to be updated with now going to 5.1. Totally love how the update went so smoothly! I am a happy camper that's for sure!:)

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'm another who hasn't been able to connect at various times of the day. Have 2 Ipads to update, a Touch. Couldn't get Apple TV to connect for firmware update either. I'll keep trying but I have Ipad 3 coming next Friday so not too concerned.

mk4

iPF Noob
Reaction score
setting aside bandwidth/speed or dl size issues, is there any advantage to do the update through itunes vs wifi direct to ipad?

tia!

OP
tlbaker

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
mk4 said:
setting aside bandwidth/speed or dl size issues, is there any advantage to do the update through itunes vs wifi direct to ipad?

tia!

Can't update OTA unless you have updated your iTunes first.

Sent from my Verizon Black 64GB iPad 2 With IOS 5.1Update From NYC!!! using iPF

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Can't update OTA unless you have updated your iTunes first.

I think you got that backwards. You can update OTA (Over The Air) without any computer at all. iTunes is irrelevant.

To back up with iTunes you must be running the most recent version of the same.

OP
tlbaker

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
I think you got that backwards. You can update OTA (Over The Air) without any computer at all. iTunes is irrelevant.

To back up with iTunes you must be running the most recent version of the same.

Well, the iPad told me I needed to be running the latest version of iTunes and I had to plug into a USB. Why would it do that?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Well, the iPad told me I needed to be running the latest version of iTunes and I had to plug into a USB. Why would it do that?

I dont' know. There could be several reasons. One, you are not already on a version of iOS 5.0. Two, It can't not connect to the OTA server (for unknown reasons). Third, some esoteric reason that defies explanation.

At any rate, my main point is that if you are getting an OTA update you don't connect to the computer at all. That's what OTA means. It also means you get a smaller (delta) update that only contains the changes from the older iOS version. If you connected to the computer you got a full update via iTunes (contains the entire new iOS system file); and you need the most up to date version of iTunes to do that.

Most reactions

Latest posts