What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

IOS 5.1.1 released - Jailbreakers take note

Chrisd10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm also new, and same here. But it's for all devices, pretty sure there.

OP
f4780y

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Rpgguy said:
I have an Ipad 3 5.1 , Its my first I-device. I read the instruction link posted about saving blobs but I don't think I get it yet...
Do I have to save my blobs with I pad 3? or is this info is for Ipad1 and 2 users?

Chrisd10 said:
I'm also new, and same here. But it's for all devices, pretty sure there.

Saving blobs is the same for all devices. Just follow the steps of the tutorial posted above. They are very straight forward!

Rpgguy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OK sorry for being a total noob , but what is the difference between using the DFU to blob saving restore? Can't I use DFU mode to return to 5.1 whenever I want?

OP
f4780y

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Rpgguy said:
OK sorry for being a total noob , but what is the difference between using the DFU to blob saving restore? Can't I use DFU mode to return to 5.1 whenever I want?

No you can't. You can only restore 5.1 during the period when Apple are providing blobs for 5.1. That period is now coming to an end because 5.1.1 is released. Soon all you can do is restore 5.1.1 because that is the version of IOS Apple wants you to restore because that is the current version. The blobs are the mechanism which Apple use to control this. They are a digital signature which allow a version of IOS to run on your specific device. There is no way round the mechanism for 5.x at the moment, except on the iPad1. But in all cases you MUST have valid saved SHSH Blobs for your device and the version of IOS you want to restore.

DFU has nothing to do with it. It is simply a lower level restore mode for your device. It still does not bypass the need for blobs.

Rpgguy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks a lot , I will try this as soon as I get home from work, I hope I will not be too late.
I suggest you post at least some basic info on blobs in this informative post ...ipadforums.net/ipad-hacking/2838-jailbreaking-explained.html
Because someone new like me read it and had no idea there were such things as blobs.

OP
f4780y

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Rpgguy said:
Thanks a lot , I will try this as soon as I get home from work, I hope I will not be too late.
I suggest you post at least some basic info on blobs in this informative post ...ipadforums.net/ipad-hacking/2838-jailbreaking-explained.html
Because someone new like me read it and had no idea there were such things as blobs.

With respect, we have a full and detailed sticky which sits right next to it - http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-hacking/59291-shsh-blobs-faq-new-improved-2012-a.html

and we encourage all our members to use search! :D

timboo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Rpgguy said:

No disrespect but as you are "new" you really should have a good look at the "stickies" on the Forum. In particular the "Hacking Tutorials" Anything you need to know about the IPad is within this Forum. Get to grips with the "search" facility and you will never need to look elsewhere on the net for any IPad related information. again not dissing you just friendly advice.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts