What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

IOS 5.1.1 released - Jailbreakers take note

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Apple has just dropped IOS 5.1.1. Until we know exactly what has been updated all jailbreakers (or those waiting for one) should stay away, in particular iPad2 and iPad3 owners.

Also, make sure you have your 5.1 blobs saved NOW before the signing window is closed.

More news when we get it! :D

OP
f4780y

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
iPad1 owners, who should know that their devices are pwned for life thanks to limera1n can jailbreak the new 5.1.1 firmware TETHERED by simply using the old 5.1 firmware file and specifying it in redsn0w using the Extras > Select IPSW option. You can then follow the standard redsn0w jailbreak process. Our tutorial is here - http://www.ipadforums.net/jailbreak...orial-jailbreak-ipad1-ios5-using-redsn0w.html

iPad2 and iPad3 owners wanting to jailbreak any time soon still need to be VERY CAREFUL. This firmware is not for you, yet! :D

dstuttgen

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Apple has just dropped IOS 5.1.1. Until we know exactly what has been updated all jailbreakers (or those waiting for one) should stay away, in particular iPad2 and iPad3 owners.

Also, make sure you have your 5.1 blobs saved NOW before the signing window is closed.

More news when we get it! :D

As you know already, I foolishly lost my 5.0.1 jailbreak :( . Is there any way to get my 5.1 blob in my current un-jailbroken state or will need to rely on my 5.0.1 blob?

Cheers, Dan

I checked out your SHSH sticky and if I correctly understand, I can save my 5.1 blob. Am I correct in this? Needless, I will atempt it just the same as soon as I return home today.

Dan

Last edited:
OP
f4780y

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
As you know already, I foolishly lost my 5.0.1 jailbreak :( . Is there any way to get my 5.1 blob in my current un-jailbroken state or will need to rely on my 5.0.1 blob?

Cheers, Dan

I checked out your SHSH sticky and if I correctly understand, I can save my 5.1 blob. Am I correct in this? Needless, I will atempt it just the same as soon as I return home today.

Dan

Yes. You can save your 5.1 blobs now (but you need to be fast).
It has nothing to do with what is installed on your device. How could it be? You need blobs to be able to install it in the first place so you couldn't possibly have it installed before you request your blobs to let you install it... :)

timboo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm a newbie and I'm on 5.1 Ipad2 Wifi only. I've just used TU to save my Blob. This is the result I see in saved blobs on Tiny Umberella (Ipad2wifi5.1(9b176)-2913867965385). Does this mean I've done it right?

alxb577

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Can you please tell me what is a blob and how to save one, I've never done this kind of thing before and I would. Hate to miss out. On the jailbreak. Thanks!

Btw I'm on the iPad 3 5.1

jawa6306

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What does look promising is the 5.1.1 update doesn't look much different from the 5.1 update and contains only a few minor bug fixes. Perhaps we can hope the upcoming jailbreak won't have to be modified much to run 5.1.1.

Have blobs already saved for iPad2 and iPhone 4S. Just need to get TU to save them for the iPad3.

dstuttgen

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yes. You can save your 5.1 blobs now (but you need to be fast).
It has nothing to do with what is installed on your device. How could it be? You need blobs to be able to install it in the first place so you couldn't possibly have it installed before you request your blobs to let you install it... :)

Got it! Did it! Done!

Cheers, Dan

pego99

iPF Noob
Reaction score
this sucks. on my ipad 1 jb 4.2.1 cydia says it has 5.1 blobs but tiny umbrella only finds up to 5.01. on my ipad 3 with 5.1 tiny umbrella can find no blobs for 5.1. i was hoping to update the ipad to 5.1 when the jb for 5.1 is out. if the release of jb's are going to take so long all apple has to do is release 5.1.2 5.1.3 every month. If the jb for 5.1 was available a few weeks ago why wasnt it released?

Code_maven

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am just wanting to be sure that I am doing everything I need to make sure I can still upgrade if need be by saving my blobs. I am currently running iPad 2 Wifi on iOS 5.0 jail broken. I saved my blobs with TU and automatically by cydia. To make sure I save my 5.1/5.1.1 blobs while the signing window is still open I just need to open TU and tell it to save all blobs. Right?
I have done that and I have 5.0 and 5.1 a/b blobs... There were a couple blobs for 5.1.... I guess I am just asking if I have taken the necessary steps to back up properly. I am new to tiny umbrella so asking for help from people who know it better or been using it longer than I have would be great reassurance. Thanks in advanced! :)

P.s. I have read the how to save your blobs with TU tutorial. Just thought I would add that information, thanks again!

Last edited:
OP
f4780y

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
pego99 said:
this sucks. on my ipad 1 jb 4.2.1 cydia says it has 5.1 blobs but tiny umbrella only finds up to 5.01. on my ipad 3 with 5.1 tiny umbrella can find no blobs for 5.1. i was hoping to update the ipad to 5.1 when the jb for 5.1 is out. if the release of jb's are going to take so long all apple has to do is release 5.1.2 5.1.3 every month. If the jb for 5.1 was available a few weeks ago why wasnt it released?

Follow the tutorial posted above exactly as it is written and you will correctly save your blobs.

OP
f4780y

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Most reports are saying that the exploits used by pod2g et al to jailbreak 5.1 are still active on 5.1.1.

However, that is NOT a recommendation to update your iPad. You should always wait for explicit instructions from a trusted jailbreak resource before updating. If you choose to do it yourself you do so at your own risk :)

Chrisd10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
TU says I'm too late! :( I've waited for this since day 1 and only just found out about TU. What now?

Rpgguy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have an Ipad 3 5.1 , Its my first I-device. I read the instruction link posted about saving blobs but I don't think I get it yet...
Do I have to save my blobs with I pad 3? or is this info is for Ipad1 and 2 users?

Most reactions

Latest posts