What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iOS 5.0.1

saphire

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Keep trying. I know it's frustrating, but eventually it will work. If not, back up the iPad and do a hard reset and try again, maybe? :(

Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

I will keep trying, the wifi connection isn't as good as my iPad 2, if it won't do it I will just wait until I can get to a computer to download through iTunes..

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
the updating to the latest release didn't take long over wifi... went smoothly... but DID NOT fix the battery drain problem at all. not in the least! now i'm afraid to use the thing (ipad 1) since i have to charge so often. i don't use icloud or anything! now i feel like i can't even browse the web for things (half of which i can't seem to get to since clicking on links only works sometimes these days), & if i want to play a game like scrabble (wifi off), i still have to watch my battery percentage going down.

Yes, The Unofficial Apple Weblog (TUAW) has been reporting anecdotal cases of battery drain continuing to be a problem for some. Turning off location services seems to be a stopgap measure that's working for some. Apple apparently has not commented on continuing complaints.

I've not noticed significant battery difference since going to iOS 5 and then to 5.0.1, but I've always had few location services on, and can see in Settings that they're not being used much on my iDevices. I also have not been using Siri much, beyond the first couple of days of 4S novelty. My mail is set to manual retrieval and my brightness on low, as usual, because of my preferences.

par5rack

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sure could use some help, my attempts time out, with nothing happening. HELP!!!

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sure could use some help, my attempts time out, with nothing happening. HELP!!!

If you're referring to timing out on computer while trying to upgrade, try temporarily disabling your firewall. That's been a hangup for some while doing various upgrades.

par5rack

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Nicolet, How do you download over wifi- my instructions say to do it over PC or Mac, and I am having no luck.
Thanks
Connie

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
par5rack said:
Nicolet, How do you download over wifi- my instructions say to do it over PC or Mac, and I am having no luck.
Thanks
Connie

If you are already on iOS 5 go to Settings App and software update then press the button and all will be good!

The Archangel

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks
Connie

You can upgrade via wi-fi only if you've already upgraded to iOS 5. If you haven't, you'll need to use a computer.

GoPackGo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I will keep trying, the wifi connection isn't as good as my iPad 2, if it won't do it I will just wait until I can get to a computer to download through iTunes..
Good luck! And yes, what Kaykaykay said, check your firewall, too, that could be a problem.

GoPackGo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Absolutely. I have an Android smartphone and the battery life on it is laughable. Thankfully I get my iPhone this weekend.

Cliffd

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, I'm a newcomer to the iPad and a new joiner to the group so bear with me. I want to upgrade from iOS 4.3.3 to iOS 5. Is this only possible via a direct cable connect to a mac or pc? Why can't I upgrade using the iTunes app on my ipad2? Is is a wireless restriction? Thanks for your forbearance (in anticipation).

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm a newcomer to the iPad and a new joiner to the group so bear with me. I want to upgrade from iOS 4.3.3 to iOS 5. Is this only possible via a direct cable connect to a mac or pc? Why can't I upgrade using the iTunes app on my ipad2? Is is a wireless restriction? Thanks for your forbearance (in anticipation).

There is no way to install any version of IOS up to and including 5.0 on any device without using iTunes on your PC. That's just the way Apple designed things.

Fortunately, once you have IOS5 installed (which MUST have been done using your PC), you will then be able to enjoy future updates (5.0.1 onwards) over the air (OTA) via WiFi or 3G if you so choose.

GoPackGo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hayles66 said:
Yay! That went quickly Lyndsey?

Sent from my one and only original iPad using iPF
Yes. Let's hope they have them in stock!

Cliffd said:
to upgrade from 4 to 5, you will need the USB cable and iTunes. But once you have 5, it will be wireless after that!

Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

Most reactions