What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iOS 5.0.1 file size - Really Apple?

Shihid

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Do I have to sit backup my data on cloud , and then install update from iPad , and then restore from cloud ? Or I can directly install update on iPad ..

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Do I have to sit backup my data on cloud , and then install update from iPad , and then restore from cloud ? Or I can directly install update on iPad ..

If you already upgraded to iOS 5, all you have to do is update over wi-fi from iPad: Settings> General> Software Update > follow directions. No restoring or backing up needed.

I did six iDevices. Took about 10 minutes each.

Just make sure you device is charged up, or that you plug into a power source. One of my devices had about 40 percent juice, and it would only download the update, and not install till plugged in.

BoogeyWookie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This thread has been a great help - I blew my modest 1gb monthly download limit with the attempts at upgrading through iTunes...three separate attempts and not yet the full install. Always receive the message 'server timed out' before the full download completes. I don't have wifi where I live, so will try and perform the upgrade at a cafe.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Once you have a version of iOs5 you can patch it with updates OTA. If you are coming from an earlier OS, you need the whole thing, and need to be plugged into iTunes to do it.

Presumably, that's why you get the whole OS when you update through iTunes, rather than just the patch.

Most reactions