What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iOS 4.3 + College Network = internet-less iPad.

Berraay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, iOS 4.2 gave me no Wi Fi issues what so ever on the college's network.

As soon as I upgraded to iOS 4.3 the Safari app won't work on the college network. As in I have to enter login credentials then the college's network lets me surf the internet.

I've got it working but I had to restore the iPad from no back up. I lost all of my work i.e. lecture notes, etc. So I've restored my iPad to a backup with all the lecture notes, saved game progress etc as these are vital for the lectures.

So there has to be a bug in the iOS 4.3 were I can't use the Safari app on the college's network (which is an enterprise network) with my "important back up on."

I don't mind backing up all of my lecture notes etc on to my computer, if this is the only way to sorting my problem out. I'm just really baffled.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, iOS 4.2 gave me no Wi Fi issues what so ever on the college's network.

As soon as I upgraded to iOS 4.3 the Safari app won't work on the college network. As in I have to enter login credentials then the college's network lets me surf the internet.

I've got it working but I had to restore the iPad from no back up. I lost all of my work i.e. lecture notes, etc. So I've restored my iPad to a backup with all the lecture notes, saved game progress etc as these are vital for the lectures.

So there has to be a bug in the iOS 4.3 were I can't use the Safari app on the college's network (which is an enterprise network) with my "important back up on."

I don't mind backing up all of my lecture notes etc on to my computer, if this is the only way to sorting my problem out. I'm just really baffled.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

One of the Forum moderators, col.bris suggested this.....

"This has resolved many issues and worth a try.
- Sometimes after you perform a upgrade from say iOS 3. to iOS 4.2 *the iPad or iPhone wifi or 3G speeds *may be slow.*
- This is an easy fix which does work. Please do the following:
1. Go to Settings->General->Reset
2. Then select "Reset Network Settings" (this will not erase ur devices content, music, videos, email, etc. It will only erase any WiFi networks you have defined).
3. Once your device completes the action and gives you the normal home screen or Passcode screen, go ahead and power your device down and once you are sure the device is fully powered down wait an additional 60sec to allow internal components to fully discharge.
4. After the 60sec is up, power on your device again and re-add any encrypted WiFi networks you had defined.
5. Enjoy the "back to normal" WiFi and 3G speeds like you had prior to the OS upgrade.*

Col

col.bris, Brisbane Australia

Forum Rules. Please Read."

Let us know how you get on. Several members are having this issue after upgrading, so you're not alone......

If it doesn't work - don't panic and don't do anything rash!! We'll suggest some other possible solutions.

Tim
Scotland

OP
B

Berraay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Cheers Tim SPRACKLEN, your suggestion didn't work.

In the end I just backed up all of my uni work etc on to my laptop and did a full restored without adding a backup. The iPad is now working like it was on iOS 4.2 but with a speedy Safari app.

I'm still researching into why my iPad did it...hmmm.

Last edited:

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Cheers Tim SPRACKLEN, your suggestion didn't work.

In the end I just backed up all of my uni work etc on to my laptop and did a full restored without adding a backup. The iPad is now working like it was on iOS 4.2 but with a speedy Safari app.

I'm still researching into why my iPad did it...hmmm.

Glad to hear you fixed the problem - my suggestions rarely do, so there's nothing new there!!

I hope you don't have any further 'issues' with your iPad but, if you do, don't hesitate to get back in touch - hopefully the next advice will be more helpful!

Enjoy your iPad and good luck with your University work.

Tim
Scotland

HKWrite12

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had the same issues from 3.2 to 4.0 on my iPhone. Just recently fixed it self. I'm in college and I took the cheaper route by ordering iPad 2 wifi only. We have a router every 10 ft. Hope apple works this out!!!

newfmp3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
same issues here. My ipad1 with 4.3 simply does not work at my office anymore. Will not connect to the wireless whatsoever. The irony here is that I am one of the Network and Sys Admins.

We have Cisco AP's, WPA Enterprise, TKIP, Peap, MSCHAP, radius etc. I have always had issues with iPads on our networks. 4.2 resolved many issues, but now with 4.3.....all broken again.

"Apple Quality" I guess.

Another thing, the iPad just doesn't do well in a environment where you have a few hidden ssid's, and one visible. We do this for our staff/faculty networks which are hidden, but a Guest ssid which is visible. The darn iPad, even when it did work on 4.2, constantly tries to connect to the visible one, even when you tell it to not automatically connect to other networks

Last edited:
OP
B

Berraay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This morning I updated to 4.3.1 and my iPad is working without any hiccups. :D

4.3 sure was ridden with bugs that I experience on a college network.

newfmp3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tested my iPad 1 with my Campus network today, and sure enough it connects....then disconnects, then connects....then disconnects. Same issues I had before 4.2.1

Garbage. An internet tablet that doesn't work with a Cisco Wireless network...crazy

How can I recommend these to workers and students? I can't

Anyone still on 4.2.1 is ok. Anything higher, forget it.

What next? 4.3.2? Do they even test these updates?

newfmp3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
so I posted some info on the apple forum about my problem

Low and behold, within an hour the fanboi's came in ruined the thread, and BAM....thread deleted.

God forbid you go onto a Apple forum and say that an apple product is not working as it is suppsed to.

I'll continue to poke away at this problem, as I see more iPads come to me at work I'll get a better picture as to how bad this problem is.

Reaction score
That is odd behavior, just deleting the thread. I also have posted in the official apple forum and so far only have received advice on how to solve the problem

Anyway, what has been suggested is to
1)forget the network
2)reset network settings

Most reactions

Latest posts