What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ios 4.2

skatealex2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Do you think it Will it live up to the hype? :ipad-keyboard:

Game center, printing and multitasking will def boost the ipad but I do feel maybe they can be adding a little more but I guess we will see how it is. Anyone try out the beta?

Last edited:

iPad-Sweden

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Game center - Don't Care
Printing - Don't Care
Multitasking - Good but, (Backgrounder works better)
Folders - Great
Find text on web pages - Great

Is a few good and (Don't Care) features of MY Opinion)

Have tried 3.2 3.2.1 3.2.2 & 4.2 But Im back on 3.2 again.

iPad-Sweden

iPF Noob
Reaction score
We all have different needs and expectations of/from the iPad/Apple.

But sure, newer firmware are suposed to be better then the firmware It replaces.
I just said that (I) don´t like all the feature becuase It´s no feature of my purpose, didn´t say It was a bad & crappy feature.

gatorguy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Beta install

I installed the beta Wednesday night. So far I've been fairly impressed. I have multiple Exchange ActiveSync accounts setup but am having issues with mail crashing for my University live mail account when it downloads messages. I've had to disable that account for now.

The multitasking is a very needed and easy to use feature. I used Backgrounder and have to admit I liked that a bit better than the multitasking on the beta. Everything tries to run in the background as opposed to you having to select what you want to multitask. I am periodically having to close things out that I didn't intend to multitask.

I don't have a printer with a wireless NIC but will have to see if I can get something for my HP LaserJet P2055dn. Awesome printer but the Jetdirect card doesn't have wireless. I wish the iPad would just recognize any printers on it's network segment as opposed to needing the printer to be wireless.

My one big beef so far is that we're not supposed to restore and instead sync after installing the OS. I lost a decent amount of data such as saved projects on Things and other applications that the sync is not placing back on the device. I'm trying to figure out how to get my application data back.

Of course my post sound like I'm griping, but I didn't expect the beta to be without flaws and really do enjoy the new features so far.

Gator

Last edited:

jkhonea

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.oldesouthdesign.com
So far, all of the changes I have read about look very good. I have an HP that will print wireless and can't wait for that. Multitasking will also be very nice. Overall, looks like they are addressing some very prominent issues. I'm sure there is more that they will work on for a later release. In the tech field, its always better to hold some back for the next time. You never release all of your potential at once.

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had initially "lost" all of my music, pictures and videos. The status bar at the bottom showed that they were there, but they didn't show up in the apps. So restarted the iPad and synced and there they were pretty as you please!

muyoso

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The folders are going to be great. The multitasking is not real multitasking and is therefore useless. The changing of the toggle switch to mute is stupid and will infuriate me, why would I ever need to mute the ipad THAT quick? Printing function is useless for me because the ipad is not a content creation device but rather a content consumption device. Game Center is meh. Finding text on websites? Yea, been doing that with Atomic web since I bought this thing. So overall, its a pretty meaningless update for me other than for the inclusion of folders. There is SOOOOO much meaningful crap they could have and should have included.

gatorguy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have been using the multitasking to toggle between connecting to LogMeIn sessions on servers, RDP'g via a VPN to other servers while corresponding via email. From that perspective I have been pretty happy with the multitasking so far.

Gator

Last edited:

BrennB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I guess there's no way to set up the printer? Like point to the wireless access? I have a networked, wireless Canon and yeah of course, no see.

newfmp3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Honestly do not see anything to get excited about. Kinda lame update really

Sonny Burnett

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Multitasking and better organization through folders are going to be great. Being able to leave skype and hidef radio on in the background while using bloomberg or the fox business app or playing we rule or texting is going to be great.

The current lack of multitasking is the iPad's biggest drawback.

jkhonea

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.oldesouthdesign.com
The folders are going to be great. The multitasking is not real multitasking and is therefore useless. The changing of the toggle switch to mute is stupid and will infuriate me, why would I ever need to mute the ipad THAT quick? Printing function is useless for me because the ipad is not a content creation device but rather a content consumption device. Game Center is meh. Finding text on websites? Yea, been doing that with Atomic web since I bought this thing. So overall, its a pretty meaningless update for me other than for the inclusion of folders. There is SOOOOO much meaningful crap they could have and should have included.

Just because you don't use it for content creation doesn't mean it doesn't do it. I find Pages to be quite good and have developed consulting presentations and proposals on it. Printing them without shifting to the MacBook Pro will be extremely convenient. Same for printing chapters from the book I'm writing on it.

There are A LOT of creation apps and possibilities for the iPad. You just have to look for them (and they aren't exactly hidden). ;)

jkhonea

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.oldesouthdesign.com
I guess there's no way to set up the printer? Like point to the wireless access? I have a networked, wireless Canon and yeah of course, no see.

I have a wireless HP printer. I found it by going into the network settings and having it search for the printer with discovery on the printer turned on. Found it and works good for printing pics through the HP printing app. Can't wait for the full iPad printing to be set up. Will make life much easier.

Most reactions

Latest posts