1. Due to the recent site upgrade, the iPadForums (iPF) App will no longer work. The new iPadForums.net website has been designed from the ground up to work perfectly from any mobile, tablet, or desktop computer using the built in internet browser. Create a shortcut to iPadForums.net on your home screen by following these steps: Create an icon for iPadForums.net

iOS 4.2 official release and GM 2

Discussion in 'iPad OS' started by Gunny008, Nov 17, 2010.

1. Gunny008

Gunny008 iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Hi, what happens when the official iOS 4.2 comes out but an iPad is running iOS 4.2 GM 2?

Will iTunes recognised that an update is required? I've heard that you would need to restore your iPad and search for the update, is this true?

Many thanks
  2. gentlefury

gentlefury iPad Guru

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    yes.

no.

or Maybe!

I have iTunes 10.1 beta installed and never got a notice that 10.1 official was released.
  3. Dannyboy85

Dannyboy85 iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    The way it's always been for me is since you are already running the latest firmware it won't upgrade. But since it was loaded with the shift+restore method It wouldn't just load the next one automatically say 4.2.1. So it's really up to you if you want to restore once it comes out or later when the next one is available.
  4. gentlefury

gentlefury iPad Guru

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    You won't have to restore tho....the easiest way would be to just download the official update when it comes out then shift update like the beta was installed...then you will be up to date...if you don't trust downloading one thing you can do is if you have a second iPad you can update that one then grab the restore image off the hard drive and use that one.
  5. Al Rogers

Al Rogers iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    I thought I had dowloaded the latest Itune Ver 10.10.? OS a couple of days ago but today I received another update Ver 10.1.54.

Al.
  6. gentlefury

gentlefury iPad Guru

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    There have been slight updates since 10.1 came out....apple is always patching as they go. Unlike some companies.