What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iOS 4.2 official release and GM 2

Gunny008

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi, what happens when the official iOS 4.2 comes out but an iPad is running iOS 4.2 GM 2?

Will iTunes recognised that an update is required? I've heard that you would need to restore your iPad and search for the update, is this true?

Many thanks

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
yes.

no.

or Maybe!

I have iTunes 10.1 beta installed and never got a notice that 10.1 official was released.

Dannyboy85

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The way it's always been for me is since you are already running the latest firmware it won't upgrade. But since it was loaded with the shift+restore method It wouldn't just load the next one automatically say 4.2.1. So it's really up to you if you want to restore once it comes out or later when the next one is available.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You won't have to restore tho....the easiest way would be to just download the official update when it comes out then shift update like the beta was installed...then you will be up to date...if you don't trust downloading one thing you can do is if you have a second iPad you can update that one then grab the restore image off the hard drive and use that one.

Al Rogers

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I thought I had dowloaded the latest Itune Ver 10.10.? OS a couple of days ago but today I received another update Ver 10.1.54.

Al.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There have been slight updates since 10.1 came out....apple is always patching as they go. Unlike some companies.

Most reactions

Latest posts