What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iOS 4.2 New Mail

flurry

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Answer to gmail trash icond change

If you want the Trash Icon to return as under the "old" software version with 4.2 follow these steps:
  1. Go to "Settings"
  2. Click on "Mail, Contacts, Calendars" on the left side of the page
  3. Click on your Gmail account at the top of page in the middle
  4. Simply change "Archive Messages" to "Off"
The trash icon will now return. I don't really understand why one would want the Archive Messages to be turned on so that deleted messages go into the "All Mail" folder. When I delete a message I want it to go into the trash folder which has about a month archive anyhow......

eizan70

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No Trash

I tried following the above steps and I don't have a trash button whether going through all Inboxes or All Mail under gmail, I do show the trash when I hit edit when looking at mail list but that changes to archive as soon as I check anything.

foof

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Look in the gmail account settings (on the iPad). There should be a toggle for "Archive Messages". On gives you an archive button, off gives a delete button.

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Look in the gmail account settings (on the iPad). There should be a toggle for "Archive Messages". On gives you an archive button, off gives a delete button.
Bingo. That is what controls it.

However, the change is purely visual: whether it is archived or not all it does is delete it from the inbox. It is still in the All Mail folder/label either way. Unless of course you delete it from All Mail itself.

Anicotra

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you want the Trash Icon to return as under the "old" software version with 4.2 follow these steps:
  1. Go to "Settings"
The trash icon will now return. I don't really understand why one would want the Archive Messages to be turned on so that deleted messages go into the "All Mail" folder. When I delete a message I want it to go into the trash folder which has about a month archive anyhow......

Thank you. That did the trick. It also put the delete option back when editing the inbox.

Last edited:

dcamjones

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I will stick with the Exchange method for now. Unless I missed something their is no way to sync your contacts if you use the Gmail specific way to add an email account.

ruthsgiftbaskets

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.labellabaskets.com
  1. Go to "Settings"

This is what worked for me. Thanks. All that mess came with the upgrade, and was what gmail looked like. It was MAJOR annoying!!! THANK YOU for this info, I now have my trash can (the direct approach) back.
WOO HOO
HOWEVER, the hotmail account doesn't even have that option like the others did in the settings instructions. You click it ha ha, habit, touch it, and it doesn't even GIVE an archive option, it's just for the pop server connections info. And it DOES have advanced settings. But no worries, it has a TRASH can, just like Yahoo did without having to change anything.

Thank you thank you thank you flurry. I now feel I have my MAIL back!

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts