What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iOS 4.2 beta issues

donka

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The thing I dont understand is that they replaced the screen lock with mute for some reason, yet if you hold the volume down it still mutes.

I think this will change with Gold. I actually find the volume down to mute option a pain as I usually end up muting when I'm just trying to lower the volume a bit. Moving this completely to the switch makes sense from an 'Apple' perspective - I believe this was always just an interim measure until the multitasking support with the new double tap tray was ready to house the rotate lock option.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The thing I dont understand is that they replaced the screen lock with mute for some reason, yet if you hold the volume down it still mutes.

I think this will change with Gold. I actually find the volume down to mute option a pain as I usually end up muting when I'm just trying to lower the volume a bit. Moving this completely to the switch makes sense from an 'Apple' perspective - I believe this was always just an interim measure until the multitasking support with the new double tap tray was ready to house the rotate lock option.

That's what I mean, the rocker mute shouldn't still be there.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Looks like the new Netflix release doesn't work, so don't upgrade if you like using Netflix.

Last edited:

IpadOne

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What you end up with is actually a quick launch bar with the things you use the most at the start... Quite useful I find...

Hope that helps.

Plus I loved the little animation it makes between programs. I agree, it is very useful to just double click home and "swap" programs, even if they don't remain running.

Let me say you are wrong : i will give you an example i play Zombie farm witch is also in game center … when i let it run (multitask) i will receive an alert if i totally close i don’t get the alert far as i have understand the multitask is based on witch function the developer want to use , when i do the same with iBook’s i close and reopen he stay on the same page if i terminate the app’s he will open by the library

In my iPhone4 and my iPad i have tested and seem’s is exactly the same behavior …. but i am sure we will see some change with the final release of 4.2

BrennB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What you end up with is actually a quick launch bar with the things you use the most at the start... Quite useful I find...

Hope that helps.

Plus I loved the little animation it makes between programs. I agree, it is very useful to just double click home and "swap" programs, even if they don't remain running.

Let me say you are wrong : i will give you an example i play Zombie farm witch is also in game center … when i let it run (multitask) i will receive an alert if i totally close i don’t get the alert far as i have understand the multitask is based on witch function the developer want to use , when i do the same with iBook’s i close and reopen he stay on the same page if i terminate the app’s he will open by the library

In my iPhone4 and my iPad i have tested and seem’s is exactly the same behavior …. but i am sure we will see some change with the final release of 4.2

I'm not disagreeing with that at all. My comment was a caveat to those programs that do not currently stay in the running state, which in my case is most of my games (they alert me even if they are closed on the official 3.2.2 os that's a push function). I fully understand its up to the developer to set the course.

IpadOne

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm not disagreeing with that at all. My comment was a caveat to those programs that do not currently stay in the running state, which in my case is most of my games (they alert me even if they are closed on the official 3.2.2 os that's a push function). I fully understand its up to the developer to set the course.

Seem’s some game even they don’t have the push function (like the badge) like Zombie farm … since they stay in working mode you receive an alert i have tried in my iPhone4 too and it’s the same … but when you go in the setting they are not in the list and no option for notification like facebook (for example)

aklesh3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Testing Memory

As a test, I forced a re-boot. Then using a app called Scan lite, it shows 113.34 MB Free
Inactive 16.05MB
Active 32.57MB
Wired 57.59MB

with 20 running processes.

Touch Scan Pro
MobileMail
Isd
notifyd
BTServer
CommCenter
SpringBoard
accessoryd
apsd
configd
dataaccessd
fairplayd.K48
locationd
mDNSResponder
mediaremoted
mediaserverd
lockdownd
syslogd
launchd
kernel_task.

And remember, this was right out of the gate. I ran a few apps.

Angry Birds, Stanza, Atomic Web, AppShopper, Mail, Note Taker HD, iPod, Epic Citadel. I than ran Scan Lite again, now I got:

Free 11.20MB
Inactive 9.99MB
Active 17.43MB
Wired 61.98MB

So Free went way down, Inactive by almost half, oddly enough Active went by half also. New running processes
CastleGame
MobileMusicPlaye
AppShopper
AtomicBrowser
Stanza

Now when I went, swaped and killed the apps in the "running bar" I now get

Free 130.90MB
Inactive 20.34MB
Active 17.43MB
Wired 50.62M
And all the new running processes were out of memory. Here's the numbers again to recap.

Right after reboot
113.34 MB Free
Inactive 16.05MB
Active 32.57MB
Wired 57.59MB
with 20 running processes.

After loading apps

Free 11.20MB
Inactive 9.99MB
Active 17.43MB
Wired 61.98MB
with 25 running processes

And after killing running apps
Free 130.90MB
Inactive 20.34MB
Active 17.43MB
Wired 50.62M.

I think it's pretty clear that having apps in the running bar, (not sure what to call it) take up memory by sitting there, BUT iOS does a good job of reclaiming that memory when you kill the app.

mwhibben

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ios 4.2 beta 2 Issues I've seen on the iPad

Here's the list of problems I've had either with iOS 4.2 beta 2 directly or with Apple provided apps. I don't even want to go into third party apps, since it's clear that many are not prepared for iOS 4.2 yet or at least haven't posted any compatibility updates. For the record, I have a 3G iPad with 64 GB flash.

1: Safari crashes! A lot. No apparent reason, but may be related to updates to the Java run time environment.
2: Remote has ceased working. Can't find my Mac OS iTunes library.
3: iTunes exhibits some minor problems with image updating.
4: iPad frequently looses WiFi connectivity and has to be lease-renewed from the Settings. This is very similar to the problem we all faced with the early iPad deliveries. It's just obnoxious to face it all over again.
5: AirPrint doesn't seem to work. I installed the Mac OS 10.6.5 for developers that was supposed to enable AirPort printing to a shared printer under Mac OS printer sharing, but this doesn't seem to work. The iPad recognizes the printer and tries to print, just nothing comes out. If anyone has been able to use AirPrint successfully in this mode or directly to an ePrint enabled printer from the iPad, I would like to hear how you did it.

On the Plus Side, JavaScript execution seems to be much improved (like 40-50 %), but this may be the explanation for the instability in Safari.

I recorded video of these problems and posted it on YouTube at [ame]http://www.youtube.com/user/TechnomiconMedia#p/u[/ame] . Please take a look and provide whatever feedback/advice you can.

Mark Hibben

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
4: iPad frequently looses WiFi connectivity and has to be lease-renewed from the Settings. This is very similar to the problem we all faced with the early iPad deliveries. It's just obnoxious to face it all over again.
I think my iPad is broken! I have never experienced any WiFi connectivity issues since installing the 4.2 beta. As a matter of fact, I do not see any appreciable difference in my connectivity now than I did even before I installed iOS 3.2.1.

BrennB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
But Scott you do not have a 3g model, I really have experienced differences in the same household between 3g and wifi only models. (even not on beta)

mwhibben

iPF Noob
Reaction score
In addition to being a 3G version, I use a third party router, which has always seemed to add complications. At least in that it provided Apple with the opportunity to point the finger at the router. This time, I can at least reply that WiFi worked just fine prior to the beta 2 installation.

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Touché Brenn! But mwhibben did not make that distinction in his post. He only says he has a 64gb iPad and did not say whether or not he has 3G... until now!

We know that the first release of iOS 4.2 did not play well with 3G so it definitely could be an issue.

Last edited:

BrennB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ha read again, he states, "for the record I have a 3G......".

Neener!
::::::::::::ducks and runs::::::::::::

Most reactions

Latest posts