What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iOS 4.2.1 Available Now - Yes, Really

Digikid

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Got the update for the iPhone 4 but it says that it cannot validate due to not being able to reach the validation servers.

shiggy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
mtbtires.com
BTW, its going to be 4.2 and not 4.2.1. The 4.2.1 beta release is out but 4.2 would be launched for public today

It is 4.2.1.

iTunes says the update is installed but the status bar on my iPad has be stalled at ~95% for 10 minutes :-/
I am doing a restore on mine now. After it rebooted it is running in Danish!

Data restore in progress.

kcr

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I wish so much that iTunes ran in Ubuntu!

I have a wintendo partition just for iTunes, and I really loathe booting into it. It runs like a sea elephant.

I am waiting to see how y'all like it before I boot in to the other partition and get the new os. I am trying real hard to be patient :D

Cartier23

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a strange question.

I have 16 GB Ipad, however, when I updated to 4.2.1 the Itunes still shows Capacity of being 14GB, while going through Computer - Ipad - Internal Storage it shows 23.3 GB of which 14 GB is full (probably the Ipad capacity which is reserved for Itunes) and 9.3 GB is free, where I can upload whatever I want.

How do you explain this?

RoadPilot

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This is why I hate windows so passionately!! It is a game console and thats it! Useless OS! nothing works if you store everything on the OS drive yet they force you to install everything to the OS drive!!!

My Mac OS Drive is for the OS and apps (which can easily be moved if they need to be!!) everything else is in other places!
Took my Windows 7 box a whopping 8 or 9 minutes to complete the entire process, and that *includes* the 5-6 minutes of download time.

No problems here!

larfor

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Updated in Sweden!

Smooth and quick upgrade only took about 20 minutes - everything seems to work fine.

FusionSarson

iPF Noob
Reaction score
the update done through the proper channels of itunes with the latest itunes software etc has stuck my ipad in recovery mode...

Getting the error...

"The ipad "ipad" cannot be restored at this time because the iPad software update server could not be contacted or is temporarily unavailable"

Very confused!

FusionSarson

iPF Noob
Reaction score
the update done through the proper channels of itunes with the latest itunes software etc has stuck my ipad in recovery mode...

Getting the error...

"The ipad "ipad" cannot be restored at this time because the iPad software update server could not be contacted or is temporarily unavailable"

Very confused!

Ok i seem to be getting through now, had to take my firewall down though... very strange. I'll keep this updated.

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As I understand it, 4.2 was the version with the full AirPrint feature. When they amended that, they went to 4.2.1. Its all good.

DaveSt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This is why I hate windows so passionately!! It is a game console and thats it! Useless OS! nothing works if you store everything on the OS drive yet they force you to install everything to the OS drive!!!

My Mac OS Drive is for the OS and apps (which can easily be moved if they need to be!!) everything else is in other places!

Just because you (or your girlfriend) don't know what you are doing doesn't mean you have to flame an entire OS. I have my system setup exactly the way you would want, and I have to because my main drive is a fairly small SSD. My Itunes and user folders all reside on another physical hard drive (D) and everything works like a charm. Maybe you should join a Windows forum ... :)

stever

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Looking forward to a new features.
But. The flash issue still pending I guess

WHAT???
you mean like the issue of having car tires made out of soft licorice is 'still pending'???

I don't know how you could have missed it, but
There is nothing 'pending' about Flash on iPads.

Apple has firmly announced several times, that they have solidly decided the Flash issue.
Apple has been very clear that they have ZERO INTENTION of supporting Flash on iPads.

Over. Done. No 'pending' about it.

Now back to our iOS fun . . .

Drag Bunt

iPF Novice
Reaction score

Just because you (or your girlfriend) don't know what you are doing doesn't mean you have to flame an entire OS. I have my system setup exactly the way you would want, and I have to because my main drive is a fairly small SSD. My Itunes and user folders all reside on another physical hard drive (D) and everything works like a charm. Maybe you should join a Windows forum ... :)

Goodness gracious. Ditto on joining a Windows forum. There's an excellent one for Windows 7 I can recommend if interested. I run win7 on my Mac Mini (OS-X always seems counter-intuitive to me). Had zero problems with this upgrade.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Goodness gracious. Ditto on joining a Windows forum. There's an excellent one for Windows 7 I can recommend if interested. I run win7 on my Mac Mini (OS-X always seems counter-intuitive to me). Had zero problems with this upgrade.

Actually I know exactly what I am doing. In previous version of windows you could just reassign where the documents folder was...no longer an option in win 7. I tried assigning a junction and it ignores it, so now I am backing up the user folder to reinstall windows with more memory in the OS partition.

I have worked on windows and mac and linux for many many years...not just passively I have done much low level support. Windows is the least efficient. It is good for gaming and thats about it. That is my opinion and you will not sway me on it.

Most reactions