What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iOS 4.2.1 Available Now - Yes, Really

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Doh! I was expecting an update on Tuesday, so I didn't backup. Download is done, but the syncing before updating is taking FOREVER!

If you haven't done it in a while it will take a LONG time. I did a sync on my gfs iPad the other day in prep for today and it took like 5 hours!!!

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Downloading now but doing a backup first just in case :)

Yes always make sure you backup first, it is for some reason an extremely slow process (it would take like 20 mins to xfer 12GB of data from a USB HDD to a computer.....it takes like 4 hours with iTunes on iPad....I don't get it!!) but it is worth doing, I have restored mine a couple times and since I did a full backup it came back exactly as I left it.

Dallasfreak

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Still no update .....this is worst then waiting for Christmas when I was 8

OP
NumbLock

NumbLock

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Doh! I was expecting an update on Tuesday, so I didn't backup. Download is done, but the syncing before updating is taking FOREVER!

If you haven't done it in a while it will take a LONG time. I did a sync on my gfs iPad the other day in prep for today and it took like 5 hours!!!

By the last update scare, I cleaned out my VLC and GoodReader, so I'm like 80% done with backup. Still it has taken almost an hour...

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well backup completed then went to the finalize stage and locked up and then proceeded to lock up iTunes everytime I plugged it in, hard reset just goes back to the progress bar and locks partway thru. Now restoring....ugh....windows really sucks when it comes to iDevices!!!! I need to get her a mac!!

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
BTW, its going to be 4.2 and not 4.2.1. The 4.2.1 beta release is out but 4.2 would be launched for public today

It is 4.2.1.

iTunes says the update is installed but the status bar on my iPad has be stalled at ~95% for 10 minutes :-/

yeah 4.2.1 is the latest version...its been unofficially available for over a week now.

peled

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Here In Israel The servers opened up at 20:30pm local time. It is very Slooooooow.
I got to about 40% and it crashed. Had to reload again. afraid to many on the server, and it'll crash again.
This version is important for us since it has Hebrew ( Right to left.. remember ?)

Most reactions