IOS 11

Discussion in 'iPad OS' started by Thomas1977, Sep 7, 2017.

1. Atindra

Atindra
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    So is it final? iOS 11 shall be released on 12th September? Are all the issues addressed with 9 beta versions?

2. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Nothing is final until Apple makes the official announcement of the iOS 11 release date, almost certainly during the Special Presentation on the 12th.
    The major bugs and many minor bugs have been taken care of but there is no guarantee that there won't be any bugs in the release version.

3. brixtonboy

brixtonboy
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    when iOS11 is released as Scifan says there may well be bugs, but when you think about it, considering the number of Apple products on the market that will be capable of upgrading to this, and the multitude of Apps available in the App Store it would not be surprising if owners reported some problems. Just my opinion.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. Atindra

Atindra
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I am more excited about iOS 11's possible announcement rather than that of iPhone 8, even though the surprise factor is more in iPhone release.

5. twerppoet

twerppoet
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend II

Thanks Received:
    Just a few more minutes till the Apple Event. In the mean time Apple has put up a preview site for iOS 11. Here's a screen shot of the device compatibility list.

iOS 11 Preview

46C8AAF1-5C45-4011-8025-7B8857C2C59E.jpeg

6. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm downloading the Gold Master right now.

7. perseid

perseid
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I downloaded the ios 11 GM official ipsw file following this website directions. Are those instructions safe to follow on the Ipad? And is that file the official final release of ios 11 that will be distributed by Apple on 9/19? How can I indicate Itunes to install the downloaded ipsw file? I'm a newbie to ios (currently with 10.3.3 on the Ipad Pro 12.9 2nd gen). Also, I read that once installed the new ios, I won't be able to use the Ipad until Apple "activates" the new install, so the question is: will Apple activate the installed ios11 or will I have to wait until 9/19?
    I understand that the install is risk free because if anything goes wrong I can restore 10.3.3 from the backup I made. Thanks, don't want to wait until 9/19! :mad:

#17 perseid, Sep 12, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2017
  8. twerppoet

twerppoet
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend II

Thanks Received:
    You won't be able to use the Gold Master (GM) file unless you have a developer account. If you are not a developer it is best to wait until the public release of iOS 11. That's only a week away.

If you absolutely can't wait, and are not a developer, you can join the public beta. There are probably not any major differences between the last public beta and the GM.

But seriously at his point just wait. Both the GM and the public beta will time out soon after the release and you'll have to update again anyway. Why do it twice with only a week to wait?

For those feeling cautious, waiting a week after the release isn't a bad idea. If there are any serious bugs, unlikely as that is, they will have shown up by then.

9. perseid

perseid
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Thanks twerppoet, but say I just want to try it, I can revert back to 10.3.3 anyway, so I can have a feel this week before the Apple release next week, will I need to activate or need a special code to use it? Or is the GM a "trial" that expires on 9/19?

10. twerppoet

twerppoet
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend II

Thanks Received:
    The GM is a final pre-release verions that is for developers so that they can test their apps before the public release. You normally get it though Apple's developer site, and it is enabled through their servers. I have no idea how you would enable it by other means, and would be wary of any means that does not involve Apple.

Since I don't have a developer account, I don't know what the details are.

The public beta can be accesed here: Apple Beta Software Program