What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iOS 11 Problems and Issues Thread

Tanikaze

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Updated ipad Mini 4 to the latest iOS 11.0.2. However the device keeps turning off and on, resetting itself (the spinning circle icon is displayed). I read other devices had this issue in previous iOS versions and I have tried to erase all data and start over. However I am unable to do this because it always resets itself in the middle of erasing itself and I'm back at the beginning.

I know I'm unable to downgrade to previous iOS versions but I can't think of what else could be the cause of this (earlier iOS 11 versions were OK). Appreciate any suggestions for fix; otherwise I sure hope Apple issues a new iOS 11.0.3 STAT that doesn't take long to install!

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Updated ipad Mini 4 to the latest iOS 11.0.2. However the device keeps turning off and on, resetting itself (the spinning circle icon is displayed). I read other devices had this issue in previous iOS versions and I have tried to erase all data and start over. However I am unable to do this because it always resets itself in the middle of erasing itself and I'm back at the beginning.

I know I'm unable to downgrade to previous iOS versions but I can't think of what else could be the cause of this (earlier iOS 11 versions were OK). Appreciate any suggestions for fix; otherwise I sure hope Apple issues a new iOS 11.0.3 STAT that doesn't take long to install!
Welcome to iPad Forums!

Try connecting it to iTunes, and restore it that way.

NSquirrel

iPF Novice
Reaction score
In post #45 I described a bug with Memo crashing and deleting a file in Photos. Further to this, Memo crashes when you try to delete the active memo page. If you change to another page; make that active by making a mark, etc., the page you are trying to delete can now be deleted without Memo crashing. (No idea how or why it deleted the photo, but at least I may be able to stop Memo crashing.)

(Reported via the Apple Feedback Form, which I have now bookmarked as it seems to be getting a lot of use!)

NSquirrel

iPF Novice
Reaction score
And just to add to post #78 I have just noticed that another two screenshots, in Photos, have been totally deleted by the System/ Memo and not by me! Fortunately they were not important...

DenaliBoy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Welcome to iPad Forums!

Force close the app (swipe upwards from the bottom to show dock, Control Centre and App Switcher). Then slide the Netflix thumbnail towards the top of the screen.

Then restart your iPad - turn it off and on again.

Hope that helps.
Thank you

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I’ve lost about a thousand dollars worth of apps for having upgraded to ios 11. I had no idea it would take away apps I’ve paid for. These apps are now useless bricks on my iPad.

I’ve uploaded the list of them. Apple gave me no warning. I’m absolutely disgusted.

I’ve had an iPad since the first one was made available, back when you bought apps, rather than these ‘pay to play’ junk apps offered on iPad now. I still used these apps, and am very angry to have had them removed from my current iPad.
Those apps have not been removed from your iPad, they just won't open in iOS 11.
Every time you opened one of these apps while on iOS 10 you would have seen a pop up stating that the app would not work with future versions of iOS.
appshopper_needs_updated-800x506.jpg

I would consider that a clear warning.
Those apps are 32 bit only apps and Apple now requires apps to be 64 bit compatible. The developers of those non-working apps have known about this problem for over two years and have either chosen not to update the apps to 64 bit or have abandoned them.
Apple is not responsible for maintaining app compatibility with the latest version of iOS. The problem, therefore, is with the app developers in question who haven't updated their apps, not with Apple. Have you tried contacting the developers of those apps?

Last edited:

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
They did give you the complete list of all apps on your iPad that would not work with iOS 11. You posted photos of that list in your first post. If you didn't see the pop up warnings then you haven't used any of those apps in well over a year, since that list has been in Settings>General>About since September 2016.
It's not the fault of Apple that those apps will no longer work. Apple did not make those apps non-workable, it was the developers who persistently ignored Apple's advice to update their apps since 2015 that did that.

auntyj

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I discovered today in IOS 11.2.1 that nothing in my reading list is available for offline reading. If it was only some of them, I'd think that I saved them to the reading list then moved off the website before it had a chance to be saved offline, but it was everything. I deliberately tried pages that I know I've previously read offline. I was away from home with no wifi.
When I returned home I switched the iPad to aeroplane mode - now a few items are available, but many still aren't (which makes no sense - being connected to wifi shouldn't make any difference, because the iPad's in AM, and it's still offline, wifi or not.
I haven't updated my iPad Pro yet, and I tried switching on AM on that - all of my saved articles are available offline.
I saved some sites to the list on both devices - back in AM, all the newly saved sites are available offline on both devices.
Does anyone have an explanation please?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Have you made sure that “Automatically Save Offline” is turned on in Settings Safari?

I’m not sure I followed what you did? To make sure, do you understand that turning on Airplane Mode turns off all the iPad’s radios, so that there is no connection (wi-fi, bluetooth, or cellular) possible? Turning it on would be a good way to test if content is available offline (locally). It would not force any content to download just because it had been turne on. Turning it back on would not necisarily start content downloading, but Safari’s background tasks should eventually kick in.

If I had to guess, the sites you added to the reading list while away from your home wi-fi did not download due a slow connection or maybe a limitation of the cellular connection (if you have one). They downloaded automatically after you came home, somewhere inbetween the turning on/off of Airplane Mode, probably while you had Safari open (or in the background). Depending on the size and content of hte sites, this could have taken a while.

auntyj

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you for your help.

The setting in Safari was already turned on, and turning it off & on again had no effect.

However, after several hours of fiddling around, restarting, deleting the reading list and re-saving it, etc, the problem is fixed. I don’t think it was actually anything I did, I think it was a technical glitch that righted itself. It was too random and nonsensical in what was saving, and what wasn’t, and some items were accessible sometimes and then unavailable next time I turned the wifi off.

Just happy it’s now working!

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts