What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iOS 11 Problems and Issues Thread

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hm, check to see if the Memo app has been updated for iOS 11 compatibilty. If so, I suggest sending them some feedback. I don’t use it, so I can’t make any suggestions other than that (I’m not even sure what app you are talking about).

On a side note, the Notes app can now take scans. Combined with it’s annotation abilities it might make a suitable replacement for your puzzles. At least until Memo is working properly again.

Notes can automaticaly save scans in Photos, or not. It’s turned on/off in Settings > Notes.

NSquirrel

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks twerppoet. I think the common factor is the new screenshot facility for this problem and the flicker after a screenshot when entering the control centre. Hence, as an experiment, I have found a screenshot app and will try that and see if the same occurs.

Tweak2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've been watching this thread to see if there any major issues. Although there are some annoying items I don't see any show stoppers. Those of you that have installed 11, would you agree?
Thanks.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I've been watching this thread to see if there any major issues. Although there are some annoying items I don't see any show stoppers. Those of you that have installed 11, would you agree?
Thanks.

I’ve had to close and restart apps more often than normal. I expect that ths will correct itself after the next minor iOS 11 update and after more developers have done their own bug squashing.

There have also been some reports of faster battery drain (more than what is usual for an iOS update). Siri is thought to be the cluprit, but I’ve seen no hard evidence of that.

So, if you depend on your iPad for all day portable use, you might want to hold off a bit longer. If you have a charger handy most of the time, you should be good. I’m still good for a solid 6 to 8 hours of batter (at least).

Other than that, I don’t know of any reason to delay. The new multitasking features may take a while to get a handle on, but once you do they are a delight.

Note: The Dock makes it really easy to force close and re-open an app. Swipe up from the lower edge of the screen to about mid screen to see the Control Center / App Switcher panel. Swipe up on the app thumbnail to force it closed. The app’s icon will either be in the main Doc view (where you placed it) or in the recent apps at the right in the Dock. Tap on it to re-open. Takes longer to read this, by far, than to do.

Last edited:

NSquirrel

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Control centre music player...

How does it work or does it only function with an Apple Music account?

I can press the play button and it goes to light grey and I can do a long press, which shows my ipad listed and that is it.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Control centre music player...

How does it work or does it only function with an Apple Music account?

I can press the play button and it goes to light grey and I can do a long press, which shows my ipad listed and that is it.
If you go to the music app and start playing songs, they can then be controlled from the music player controls in Control Centre.

NSquirrel

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Scifan57: Thank you.

With the ease of moving to the music app via the control centre, where I can see all the tracks, etc., I feel it is a little superfluous.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Scifan57: Thank you.

With the ease of moving to the music app via the control centre, where I can see all the tracks, etc., I feel it is a little superfluous.
You’re welcome.
It does allow you to control your music while in another app without having to close the app and open the music app.

Tweak2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
A couple of questions.

• App 1 is open. I open the dock and slide app 2 to float on one side. I slide app 2 off the screen. I open the dock and tap on app 2 and it floats over app 1 as if I had dragged it over there. I can’t seem to get it back to full screen without stopping and restarting app 2 or sliding app 2 into split screen then moving over to full screen.

• How to you float app 2 over app 1 if app 2 is not included in the dock?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Ok, this is kind of complidated to describe in just words, but I’ll give it ago.

The Slide Over app is persistant. What this means is that once you place an app in slide over mode, it stays in that view/mode until you either place another app in slide over, or you force the current slide over app into full or split screen.

So, once an app is in Slide Over you can place it over any current app(s) byTapping on the slide over app or
Swiping left from the center of the right edge.

You dismiss it (while leveing it in slide over mode) by draging the top tab to the right edge of the screen.

This can be really annoying, if you are not expectring it. But it can also be very handy. Because it is persistant, you can keep using this same app over multiple apps (full screen or split view). For instance, lets say you want to gather notes from multiple sources (Safari, PDF, and Word). If you place the Notes app you can keep using it over the top of all these documents, sliding it out of the way or to the other side of the screen when needed.j

Another use for this are the new Shelf apps. You use these like a supper clipboard; moving from app to app, dragging content into the shelf. When you’ve got what you want you open the destination app(s) and drag the content back out.

Split view mode is harder to use this way. While split views are persistant, they can not be duplicated. Once you creat a split view (say Safari and Notes) each time you tap on those apps they will open back in split view. However, if you use either of those apps in full view or paired with another app, that split view is broken in favor of the new fulls screen or split view.

So the persistance of slide over is both annoying (when you do not expect it) but very handy once you understand how it works. The slide over app becomes your go to app for stuff you want quicly available. At least untill you decide you want a different persistant app in slide over.

For your second questions, this is trickier, but again, harder to describe than do.

Tap and hold on the first apps. When it lifts from the screen drag it just a bit (but not on top of another app). Without letting go of the original app, tap on the other app you want to use. The second app will open, and the first app will now appear as on top as a retangle. If you want it to be in slide over, drop it in the middle. If you want it in side view, drag it to the right or left edge of the screen. The screen boarder will widen to show you that you can drop the app there.

Note, that if either of the apps you are trying to split are not able to split, you will only get the slide over option (or neither if the top app can’t be put into slideover). There are still a few apps that are not multitaks enabled.

A trick to keep you from having to pair accross multiple home screens (difficult but possible) is to take the extra apps you only occationally use in split view and place them in a folder in the Dock. It’s not a great solution, but it works.

There are several videos showing how to use the new multitasking enviroment in iOS 11. I recommend searching either Google or YouTube for iOS 11 multitasking demos or turtorials.

Tweak2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wow. Thank You. I’ve read this once, slowly. I’ll have to read it another couple of times I’m sure.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Wow. Thank You. I’ve read this once, slowly. I’ll have to read it another couple of times I’m sure.

Easier to do the search I recomended and watch the videos and tutorials you’ll find. I started to make some screen recordings, but it turns out I’m too lazy to make my own videos and tutorials.

Apple has a page on multitasking, but most of the tutorials out there go into more detail.

Hm, I should probably download the newes iPad User Guide from the iBooks Store (free) and check out what they have to say.

Most reactions

Latest posts