What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iOS 11.4 and OS X High Sierra compatible?

Padcatt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
do the two support each other?

my current set-up is:

iPad Pro 12.9” running iOS 11.3 and Mac Book Pro running High Sierra

thank you!

ps: the reason I’m asking here is that “Learn more” underneath the iOS blurb didn’t answer this question.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
You won’t have any problem with iOS 11.3 and macOS High Sierra working together. HighSierra should have no problems working with iOS devices from several generations earlier. For example, the latest version of iTunes will still sync with the first generation iPod from 2001.

OP
P

Padcatt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
or with iOS 4?

thank you..good to hear!

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
or with iOS 4?....
!

Well, your thread title is iOS 11.4 and macOS High Sierra - just backed up my iPad Air 2 to my MBPro on High Sierra - no problem, then updated the iPad to iOS 11.4 which went fine - wife's iMac w/ a fusion drive is still on Sierra (my choice at the moment) - updated her iPhone & iPad Mini to iOS 11.4 w/ no problem (assume the same would have happen if she was on High Sierra) - bottom line, go ahead and update your iPad. Dave :)

OP
P

Padcatt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
this is very encouraging — to know that and iPad and its associated Mac relationship remains viable despite the advancing OS X/iOS upgrades the User makes - or not. In other words, iTunes “sees” the iPad, even if older versions of OS X are installed on the Mac.

What I’m trying to avoid is an OS upgrade which will obsolete my hardware by breaking compatibility, forcing me to buy new computers. My Apple gear works beautifully right now and I want to keep ‘er that way, while wanting also to keep up to date with security/performance fixes. I have zero problem being several waves of OS X behind..good to know I can remain functional regarding the iPad.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
this is very encouraging — to know that and iPad and its associated Mac relationship remains viable despite the advancing OS X/iOS upgrades the User makes - or not. In other words, iTunes “sees” the iPad, even if older versions of OS X are installed on the Mac.

What I’m trying to avoid is an OS upgrade which will obsolete my hardware by breaking compatibility, forcing me to buy new computers. My Apple gear works beautifully right now and I want to keep ‘er that way, while wanting also to keep up to date with security/performance fixes. I have zero problem being several waves of OS X behind..good to know I can remain functional regarding the iPad.
Of course,devices on the newest version of iOS will need the later versions of macOS to connect and sync.

OP
P

Padcatt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
ok...so in other words, don’t upgrade iOS unless you are at or are able to ugrade to the os x version it requires.

does anyone know where a given iOS version’s OS X requirements are stated?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Of course,devices on the newest version of iOS will need the later versions of macOS to connect and sync.

Yes, and no. What they actually need is the newest version of iTunes. New versions of iTunes will usually run on older versions of MacOS (used to be OS X).

You may need a new version of Mac OS for other features like AirDrop and/or Continuity. But only if you are running something older than two or three years on a Mac of similar age. Older Macs may not have the hardware to support some services.

Any service that syncs through iCloud now should keep on working. New services like iCloud Message syncing and group FaceTime may or may not work with older versions of MacOS. Apple has been known to update older versions of MacOS for minor service upgrades, eventually. Usually when they do a security update.

There were no announcements of new cross platform services, so there is no need to install a newer MacOS to make your device work. Just install the latest verison of iTunes when it comes out; probably the same time as the new devices come out.

Most reactions

Latest posts