iOS 11.3 restarts?

Discussion in 'iOS 11' started by Aerofly, Apr 5, 2018.

1. Aerofly

Aerofly
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Since updating my iPad Air2 to iOS 11.3 it’s restarted itself twice for no apparent reason. It’s never done this before.
    Is anyone else experiencing spurious restart under iOS 11.3?

Steve

2. J. A.

J. A.
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I don’t have this problem on my iDevices, and it’s not a known issue, afaik.

Try force starting your iPad: press and hold Home and Power button simultaneously, until the Apple logo appears. As soon as you see it, let go of both. Your iPad will power up on it’s own.
    If you updated your iPad OTA (via Settings - General - Software Update on your iPad), connect it to your computer with iTunes installed, perform a backup (iTunes or iCloud), then restore your device.

Hope that helps.

3. NSquirrel

NSquirrel
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    No problem here with 11.3 on my air 2.

Any particular app(s)?

4. Aerofly

Aerofly
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    I can’t remember the app which was running the first time, but I think I was running Fantastical on the second occasion (today).

When I say ‘restarted’, it was effectively the same as a manual restart with the Apple logo, so I imagine another manual restart would most likely have the same result.

I’ll keep an eye on it to see if it does it again, and try to remember which app was running at the time.

Steve

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  5. NSquirrel

NSquirrel
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Just had my air 2 restart. Looking at CNN news page on Safari and iPad just went black and restarted. Power on 53%, so not power drop out.

So aerofly, you are not alone with this problem.

6. Aerofly

Aerofly
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    That’s interesting Nsquirrel, let’s now see if we get other reports. Mine’s been ok for a few days now.

Steve

7. NSquirrel

NSquirrel
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Thanks Aerofly.

What may be related, for my iPad anyway, is a possible bug in Safari bookmarks for which I submitted a bug report this morning.

Rather than repeat it, the topic is ‘Bookmark Oddity in Safari’ at Bookmark Oddity in Safari

8. ITg33k

ITg33k
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I'm wondering if it's finally safe to update. My wife's and my iPads (2017 9.7") and iPhones (6S) are still on 10.3. We'll be going on a trip, soon, so I'd like to know if it's safe to update or is 11.x still problematical?

Note: We don't have iTunes, nor would it be practical to attempt to install it. MS-Windows is a rarely-used "secondary" OS for us, and we have no Macs. So backing up to iTunes is a non-starter. If iOS 11.x is likely to trash our devices, we'll just stick with 10.3. In that case: Is there any way to stop the repetitive iOS 11 downloads and notifications?

Thanks!

9. NSquirrel

NSquirrel
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    The restart problem has happened only once for me on the iPad and not on our 2 iPhone 8s.

So from my experience I would suggest that you definitely go to 11.3; for one thing it should have better security.

I hope that this helps you.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  10. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Part of that better security is the Meltdown patch added in iOS 11.2.