What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

IO6 Downgrade??

Monstermanhbf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.hpibajaforum.com
Just wondering if anyone has tried to downgrade from IO6? I am on many forums and on one of the non IPad four a some of the chatter has been how much they hate the new upgrade. Someone put up a link on how to downgrade. Just curious if its a good idea or not and if anyone has tried to do it?

Chris Sent from my iPad using iPF

iJamesH

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You can't downgrade as Apple closed that window 2 days after the new iOS release.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Monstermanhbf said:
I thought that to be the case but apparently there are ways around it. From the link that I followed that was posted its do able.

How to Downgrade Back to iOS 5 | Mac|Life

This link refers to a procedure for downgrading to iOS 5.1.1 while the signing window was still open. The article was written the morning that the signing window was closed, about 1.5 hours before the signing window closed. This method will not work now that the signing window is closed.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah, but if you notice, that article is dated for two days after iOS 6 came out. Yes, you could go back to iOS 5.1.1 while the window was still open but, as was mentioned, Apple has closed the window and the only iOS that can be put on an iPad is iOS 6. The author should have put in a qualifier that downgrading to iOS 5.1.1 was only while the window was open.

Guarantee you, at this moment in time - there is no way to downgrade an iPad from iOS 6 to iOS 5.1.1. None.

Marilyn

Edit to add: Dang, you type fast, Scifan! :D

OP
Monstermanhbf

Monstermanhbf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.hpibajaforum.com
Well thanks for the confirmation, I am no Apple expert by far. Heck I am still getting used to the entire Apple idea and my new Ipad2 device. Although I have no issues or problems with the new IO6 I myself feel like my Ipad2 runs smoother or faster there is a difference I am just not sure what exactly other than looks and certain icons missing etc. But I like the new upgrade myself. I was just reading on the other forum how many guys dislike it and wish they had never done it. Thought maybe someone had a way of going back in time. But you all confirmed it so I wont even bother reading into these things any more. I am happy where my Ipad2 is at with IO6..

Thanks for the confirmation now I can go back and tell all those guys I know beter!! LOL

ipadder474

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Well thanks for the confirmation, I am no Apple expert by far. Heck I am still getting used to the entire Apple idea and my new Ipad2 device. Although I have no issues or problems with the new IO6 I myself feel like my Ipad2 runs smoother or faster there is a difference I am just not sure what exactly other than looks and certain icons missing etc. But I like the new upgrade myself. I was just reading on the other forum how many guys dislike it and wish they had never done it. Thought maybe someone had a way of going back in time. But you all confirmed it so I wont even bother reading into these things any more. I am happy where my Ipad2 is at with IO6..

Thanks for the confirmation now I can go back and tell all those guys I know beter!! LOL

Find someone with a iPad2 who has not upgraded their OS and you run Apple Maps and the other person run Google Maps. See who is happy then with their iPads.

iJamesH

iPF Novice
Reaction score

If you like the update I see no reason wanting to go back anyway.

OP
Monstermanhbf

Monstermanhbf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.hpibajaforum.com
If you like the update I see no reason wanting to go back anyway.

Yeah no real reason to go back I just feel like I am missing out having jumped the gun and just downloaded the update before really getting used to or trying out the older IO version. But I guess I cant miss something I never really knew right?? I guess its just curiosity...

ipadder474

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yeah no real reason to go back I just feel like I am missing out having jumped the gun and just downloaded the update before really getting used to or trying out the older IO version. But I guess I cant miss something I never really knew right?? I guess its just curiosity...

I feel Apple will get their mapping program working much better. But lets face facts Google has spent I bet a billion+ dollars developing a world class mapping program, their street view is a great item. Google is the mapping standard of the digital mapping world. So when Apple decided not to renew their contract with Google and do their own mapping program. Apple had a BIG project to get going in time for their updated OS. Time will tell if Apple can do the job as well as Google has done their job.

Most reactions