What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Invalid email address

Grinchy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When I open up ipad mail to send a new email, and type in the first few letters of a name, it brings up a picklist and I can see the same name twice. One has the name in bold letters but the other identical name has no letters in bold. The one with bold lettering is the correct email address but the other one does not work. I cannot see any way of deleting this rogue address. Can you help please?

Thank you.

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When I open up ipad mail to send a new email, and type in the first few letters of a name, it brings up a picklist and I can see the same name twice. One has the name in bold letters but the other identical name has no letters in bold. The one with bold lettering is the correct email address but the other one does not work. I cannot see any way of deleting this rogue address. Can you help please?

Thank you. 
Generally your Mail app is pulling email addresses from your contact list. It's likely that both entries are in there and if you eliminate the one you don't want that should do it.

If you have a Mac and you're syncing your Contacts, open Address Book on your Mac. Find and delete the incorrect email address from there. You can either wait for things to sync (if you've set it up that way) or you can connect your iPad to your computer and in iTunes click on the "Info" tab. Click "Sync Address Book Contacts", then click on "Apply".

Again, if you have a Mac you can open Mail on your computer, click on "Window" in the toolbar > Previous Recipients. If you see the problem email address there, delete it.

Hope that helps!

OP
Grinchy

Grinchy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Generally your Mail app is pulling email addresses from your contact list. It's likely that both entries are in there and if you eliminate the one you don't want that should do it.

If you have a Mac and you're syncing your Contacts, open Address Book on your Mac. Find and delete the incorrect email address from there. You can either wait for things to sync (if you've set it up that way) or you can connect your iPad to your computer and in iTunes click on the "Info" tab. Click "Sync Address Book Contacts", then click on "Apply".

Again, if you have a Mac you can open Mail on your computer, click on "Window" in the toolbar > Previous Recipients. If you see the problem email address there, delete it.

Hope that helps!

Thank you but the Email address in question is not in my contacts. It was an address I typed straight in to an email, and now suddenly it is duplicated and one doesn't work. I do not have a Mac nor do I sync any contacts at all. Any
Further advice would be greatly welcomed.

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ah got it. Then the only thing I've ever come across that allows users to access and delete specific files from their iOS device is a program called iBackupBot. Supposedly you can go in and find the auto-fill contents for the Mail program and delete it. I've never tried it but if you Google around you'll probably find more info that should help.

Let us know how things go...particularly if you can recommend that program.

OP
Grinchy

Grinchy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ah got it. Then the only thing I've ever come across that allows users to access and delete specific files from their iOS device is a program called iBackupBot. Supposedly you can go in and find the auto-fill contents for the Mail program and delete it. I've never tried it but if you Google around you'll probably find more info that should help.

Let us know how things go...particularly if you can recommend that program.

Thank you, I will go googling and see what I can find.

ipadbraincell

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is this auto correct doing it's dirty deeds?

Try turning it off in settings, also try resetting the custom dictionary.

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Good thoughts...but the iPad's email auto-fill is an animal unto itself. This issue has existed since the beginning of iOS; with the original iPhone and there's still no easy fix. :(

OP
Grinchy

Grinchy

iPF Noob
Reaction score

No it is not auto correcting. A bit more information - I lost all my emails when I updated to ios5 so this problem only started after that. I have just discovered an email address I had pre ios5 did not deliver a mail I sent.

Most reactions

Latest posts