What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Introduction

trekker01

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Greetings, Group.
I am a long time PC user, who bought a MacBook Pro early this year, and now am using the iPhone 4 as well. Haven't given up on the PCs yet, but using the Apple stuff quite a bit. I don't yet own an iPad, but thinking about it. I am used to storing files on external HDs and am wondering just how difficult it is to transfer stuff from an iPad to another storage device? Also, looking for help in choosing my iPad.
Gary

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi there and welcome.

You can utilise iTunes on your MacBook Pro to sync files from your iPad onto an external HD.

There is lots of good advice and info on here plus plenty of members all too willing to help with any problems.

Remember, search is your friend.......and please don't forget to read the rules http://www.ipadforums.net/forum-rules-help-info/2119-forum-rules-everybody-please-read.html

These are the hacking section rules for all you jail breakers (and would be jail breakers) http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-hacking/2892-hacking-section-rules-please-read.html

We also have an app for this forum. A link to download the app is: Discussion Forum for iPad Users for iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad on the iTunes App Store

If you have other Apple products or are interested in other Apple kit then why not join our sister forum too at http://www.appleforums.net/

Finally, if you still haven't had enough, how about a video explaining about our other forums (note:you may want to play this at half speed but hey, why shouldn't Phil be excited about our forums!)

The Archangel

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
T

trekker01

iPF Noob
Reaction score
AA,
The name is not related to Star Trek, although I am a Trekkie as well. Has to do with a motorhome brand. Since I generally have Internet access everywhere I go inside the USA, I don't have a lot of interest in the 3G versions of the iPad2, as I don't care to be paying for yet another source of access to the internet, even if it can be started and stopped without a contract.

Gabriel1,
Wasn't looking just to sync to an external, but to be able to move seldom needed files off the iPad onto another device that has more space, thus freeing up room on the iPad, then being able to selectively move back to the iPad or another computer, as needed. Of course, I would want to back up the iPad on a periodic basis, but maybe not as often as I do my MacBook Pro (hourly), using Time Machine. I'm a neophyte on the capabilities of the iPad, but am familiar with the iPhone 4 and MBP with up-to-date OS on each.
Gary

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Welcome from me too! I expect Gabriel1 will be back or Richsadams. Both are Mac pros.

Err! Marie, what are you doing? Forgetfulness is catching i think!

Sent from my iPad using iPF

uimalis

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Welcome, im new here too.
Maybe the app "FileBrowser" will be useful to you. It's universal so you could try it out on your iPhone now if you want to.

Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
trekker01 said:
Gabriel1,
Wasn't looking just to sync to an external, but to be able to move seldom needed files off the iPad onto another device that has more space, thus freeing up room on the iPad, then being able to selectively move back to the iPad or another computer, as needed. Of course, I would want to back up the iPad on a periodic basis, but maybe not as often as I do my MacBook Pro (hourly), using Time Machine. I'm a neophyte on the capabilities of the iPad, but am familiar with the iPhone 4 and MBP with up-to-date OS on each.
Gary

Dropbox app can be utilised for moving files from your iPad to your MacBook then you can drag them to your external drive, you will need to delete them from your Dropbox after you have got them out at the other end. You can then get them back on your iPad by reversing the procedure. You will also need the Dropbox app for your Mac but the good news is that it's all free.

The Archangel

OP
T

trekker01

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That's good! Thanks, Gabriel1. Will install Dropbox on my MBP tonight.

I don't anticipate needing 3G, however do want the GPS capability. Is that a no-go with the Wi-Fi only iPad 2?
Gary

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
trekker01 said:
That's good! Thanks, Gabriel1. Will install Dropbox on my MBP tonight.

I don't anticipate needing 3G, however do want the GPS capability. Is that a no-go with the Wi-Fi only iPad 2?
Gary

There are aftermarket accessories which will provide GPS capability such as Bad Elf otherwise it's a 3G. FWIW you don't need a 3G connection you just need the 3G chip so no need for network charges. The additional cost of the 3G iPad will probably be very little different than a wifi iPad plus a GPS unit.

The Archangel

Most reactions

Latest posts