What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Introduction

Woodsie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi. My name is Lynn and I need some help with my IPad mini2. Recently the pages have been turning very slowly when I tap. If I feel I've waited long enough and tap it again it skips two pages

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hello Lynn - welcome to the forum! Please tell us which iOS is installed on your iPad? Also, which app(s) is/are misbehaving and are you using the Internet at the time, e.g. browsing?

For starters, 'Force Close' the offending app(s) - enter the 'multitask selector screen' by quickly double tapping the home button; then drag the app(s) to the top. If not, effective, I would suggest that you 'Reset' the iPad – hold the ON-OFF & HOME buttons together until the Apple logo appears, release and allow the device to reboot - let us know if any of these maneuvers helps. :)

OP
W

Woodsie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
IOS 9.2.1 IS INSTALLED ON MY IPAD. I use my iPad mainly for reading library books and some google searches. The app to download the books is Overdrive. If I 'Reset the iPad will I lose anything?

OP
W

Woodsie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The reset was a short lived fix. Now I have to tap the page 4 or 5 times to get it to turn and then it skips a page. Any suggestions what to try next?

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The reset was a short lived fix. Now I have to tap the page 4 or 5 times to get it to turn and then it skips a page. Any suggestions what to try next?

Hi again Lynn - please review the quote below and make sure that you performed the 'Reset' properly (need to press both buttons); if not, then try again.

Now, if you are having problems w/ just one app, i.e. OverDrive, then I would suggest deleting the app and doing a reinstallation - there may be corrupted code that would be corrected. Good luck - Dave :)

When an app (or several) are misbehaving, I usually go through the following steps:

1. Force Close - open the multi-tasking bar (double tap the 'home buttom’) - iOS 8.x/9.x - find the offending app - then press and drag to the top of the screen - return to the home screen & try again.

2. Restart - press & hold the 'Sleep/Awake' (a.k.a. power) button until a red slider appears (may take a few seconds) - move the slider to turn off the iPad; then press & hold the same button until the Apple logo appears - wait for a restart.

3. Reset - press & hold the 'Power' and 'Home' buttons simultaneously until the Apple logo appears (this may take longer); release the buttons and the iPad will 're-boot' - NOTE that none of these maneuvers will alter your apps, files, or settings.

OP
W

Woodsie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes I did the reset correctly twice. Sorry but I need a little hand holding here. When I double tap the home button I see a mostly blank page with a line across the bottom and underneath that It shows 'featured, 'tag charts', 'explore', 'purchased', and 'updates'

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Yes I did the reset correctly twice. Sorry but I need a little hand holding here. When I double tap the home button I see a mostly blank page with a line across the bottom and underneath that It shows 'featured, 'tag charts', 'explore', 'purchased', and 'updates'

Sorry Lynn for your continued issue - :( The double tap (quickly) on the HOME button should bring up the 'app switcher' screen (see pic below from my iPad) - open apps can be brought to front by flicking horizontally - then to 'Force Close' one, simply drag an app to the top and off the screen.

Now, if OverDrive is the only offending app, then delete and re-install - good luck. Dave :)
IMG_5152.PNG

OP
W

Woodsie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No. I don't get there. It sounds like the app has be open. The problem is when I open Overdrive it goes directly to the library book I'm reading.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
No. I don't get there. It sounds like the app has be open. The problem is when I open Overdrive it goes directly to the library book I'm reading.

Hi again Lynn - not sure why you cannot bring up the 'App Selector' screen - the 'double tap' can be a bit tricky (requires two quick presses on the HOME button).

Do you know how to delete an app and are you willing to delete & then reinstall OverDrive?

As to deleting an app, press on an app icon (or that of OverDrive) until all start to 'jiggle' - the apps that can be removed will show a small circled X in the left upper corner of the icon (see pic of my OverDrive app which is in a folder - all were jiggling but the screen capture is still, of course) - press that X and the app will be removed from your iPad (along w/ your OverDrive settings and stored books) - go to the App store and search on OverDrive and re-download - you likely will have to setup your login again and obtain your book(s). Dave :)
IMG_5153.PNG

OP
W

Woodsie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Dave, I've seen the jiggling but not the x. I am a little leery about deleting an app and reinstalling. I had an issue with my Kobo e-reader and couldn't get the app to open so I could install it. That is why I now have an ipad.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi Dave, I've seen the jiggling but not the x. I am a little leery about deleting an app and reinstalling. I had an issue with my Kobo e-reader and couldn't get the app to open so I could install it. That is why I now have an ipad.

So, you press and held the OverDrive icon until all the icons on the screen (or in a folder if that is how yours may be set up?) started to jiggle - as in my previous pic, you should be seeing the 'circled X' on all apps that can be removed (the iBooks app in my folder does not show an X because it is a native iOS app and cannot be deleted). But the decision to remove and reinstall OverDrive is now in your 'ball park' - I'm not sure why you are not seeing the X?

Do you have a friend w/ more knowledge of using iOS & iPads or are you near an Apple store or an authorized Apple dealer, like Simply Mac? If so, I would suggest letting someone help you who can directly handle your iPad. Dave :)

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Have you gone to Settings>General>Restrictions and made sure that Deleting Apps is turned on. If it's turned off, the X won't appear and you can't delete any apps.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hold in mind that deleting Overdrive will delete any books you are currently reading. You will have to set up your library connection and download the books again. Make sure you have those instructions and passwords handy.

Most reactions

Latest posts