What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Introduction to BigBlue

BigBlue

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Greetings from Lafayette, CA. I'm a 75 year-old retired IBMer and an alumnus of the class of 1957 at Duke. I've been with PCs since their introduction and have had a series of laptops over the years. My most recent one is a netbook S10 from Lenovo which appeals to both my wife and me because it is so light and portable for us to take on our numerous travels. The iPad2 Wi-Fi device has proven to be so irresistible that I placed an on-line order for it early this morning. My challenge will be to make that transition from the netbook to the iPad and I'll be looking for some help here.

Bruce S

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Welcome to this forum. I am 9 years younger than you, I started In the 6205 era where the microprocessors had only 50 instructions , and the memory was 64 k. I have no inoculation what the iPad uses as a processor and am amazed at the younger generation in that they can Jailbreak this thing.

May you find your answers
Bruce

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Good to hear from you. You’ll find a whole bunch of iPad enthusiasts in this Forum who are only too willing to help other iPad owners and to hear of their experiences. Don’t be afraid to post any questions you may have or use the ‘Search’ button near the top of the Forum web page. I usually find I discover one new interesting and useful piece of information about my iPad every day - and often not even what I was looking for!!

Hope to hear from you soon with your thoughts about the iPad.

Have fun and enjoy your iPad

If you don’t already have it you can download a copy of the iPad manual for free from

http://manuals.info.apple.com/en_US/...User_Guide.pdf

Also the iPad2 manual is available at the Apple iBooks store. It’s free too.

Tim
Scotland

digger07

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey Big Blue
What a buzz it must be for someone like you, to experience an era from early radio to B&W Tv and now just a few years later all of this????? I'm half your age + 25% and tinkered around in the PC world. Once Apple released their Macbook pro a few years ago, where I could load Windows Xp I decided that it is time for a change- and oh boy, what a sweet feeling that was to have a fully functional , no worries piece of Computer with no issues. As of that day I have never looked at an other PC- Go the Apple!! I am like most i guess mesmerised as to how quick pace of technology has taken of. But the IPad 2 must be the best piece of technology so far. Can't wait to get one myself-got pretty much all there is from Apple and love it to bit's
Enjoy and welcome to this forum!

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Good to have you onboard.
Remember iOS is still new and theres lots more good stuff to come, but you will need to try and approach it from a non pc angle.
The people who seem to enjoy it the most are the young and the old who have never had to struggle with computers :)
So don't expect it to behave like one as it's more like a toolbox where the apps are your tools.
It is great fun though. One of the best toys I've ever bought!

OP
B

BigBlue

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There's no question that my introduction thread was one of the better investments of my time spent in computer forums. Thanks to all for your warm welcomes and a special thanks to Tim about the manual which is printing as I type. I'm old school and really do like to have hard copy in my hands when learning something new.

I've always tried to come up with a logical and rational approach in explaining to my very understanding wife why I buy this piece of technology or that. In the case of the iPad2 I just told her it is a toy and I want it. That's about the essence of the David Pogue article in the New York Times on the subject and it was good enough for her.

Thanks again for such a warm welcome.

Most reactions

Latest posts