What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

intro from central Illinois.....

jmoore

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My name is John - I'm a professor by trade (anatomy/pathology/forensic science). I hate computers & technology, but also realize that there is a good chance that this all may be more than a passing fad. So - I've been dragged, kicking and screaming at times, into the fray. At the college, the techies keep me and my system going. At home - my wife is the techno-guru and deals with anyone who uses geek-speak:) Otherwise, I am your classic techno-peasant!!!! I do not have a smart phone. If pressed, I could probably find my cell phone in a few minutes, if I looked hard.

For a variety of reasons, I'm looking into getting one of these iPad 2 thingies (main competition - a MacBook Air, though a bit pricey:) The concept looks inviting to a geezer like me. I would be using it mainly on the media consumer side of the equation, i.e., cruising the net, e-mail checks, etc. Any hardcore word processing, PowerPoints, etc. would be done on the main computer at home or office, or my wife's laptop (PC).

The thing that has stopped me so far is all of the darned connectivity complaints about the iPads!!!!!! I have Wi-Fi nodes both at home and all of the campus here. However - the iPad group here (on campus) can't seem to get the damned things to connect or stay connected. I don't know what the story would be like at home - though the Dell connects fine, fwiw. Oh yeh, I'm cheap, and would prefer to not have to go the 3G route:)

So - I guess my first question to the collective is - "Will Best Buy take the darned thing back if I find I can't get it to connect at least 95+% of the time???"

TIA to all:)

geezer john

PS - And, will I be able to link this thing to my slide rule?????:):):)

"The state that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools." Thucydides

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Good to hear from you. You’ll find a whole bunch of iPad enthusiasts in this Forum who are only too willing to help other iPad owners and to hear of their experiences. Don’t be afraid to post any questions you may have or use the ‘Search’ button near the top of the Forum web page. I usually find I discover one new interesting and useful piece of information about my iPad every day - and often not even what I was looking for!!

Hope to hear from you soon with your thoughts about the iPad.

Have fun and enjoy your iPad

If you don’t already have it you can download a copy of the iPad manual for free.

Apple - Support - Manuals

Please read the rules too!!

http://www.ipadforums.net/forum-rules-help-info/2119-forum-rules-everybody-please-read.html

I work at a University too and I've had no problems whatsoever connecting my iPad and have certainly never had the disconnect problems that you describe, so I'm unsure what the issue is. I have several colleagues too with iPads and this is definitely not something they have experienced either.

Tim
Scotland

Most reactions

Latest posts