What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

internet choices for ipad

ChrisAnderson

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I will be installing N+ router at home, my question is whether to purchase an ipad3 with verizon package or just get ipad3 wifi only and carry some sort of moblie wifi that I could plug into i.e. a hotel that offers free internet. I would love to hear what everyone else has done, and what you feel is the best bet. Trying to avoid spending alot of money with Verizon when I go over the alotted gigs per month.​

bobmcc81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would definitely get the iPad 3.... The only thing I can find around here is an iPad 2. :D

All smart remarks aside a hot spot will typically cost you about $50 a month where you could get a data plan for the 3g iPad for around $35 a month.

The hot spot would give you access for multiple devices like a friend or spouse but you do have to carry around a seperate device, charger, etc.

Hot Spot will give you 4g and you may see a slight increase in speed over the internal 3g radio

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would definitely get the iPad 3.... The only thing I can find around here is an iPad 2. :D

All smart remarks aside a hot spot will typically cost you about $50 a month where you could get a data plan for the 3g iPad for around $35 a month.

The hot spot would give you access for multiple devices like a friend or spouse but you do have to carry around a seperate device, charger, etc.

Hot Spot will give you 4g and you may see a slight increase in speed over the internal 3g radio

All true. However, my 4G mobile hotspot from Verizon is about 5-10 times the speed of a 3G connection. (That does not translate into the user experience in most cases but the Verizon LTE 4G service with a mobile hotspot is nearly as fast as my cable modem connection in my home, up to 15K kbps.)

As far as "carrying it around," the device is the size of playing card and 1/4 of an inch thick. Not much of a burden.

I should note, of course, that I have to have internet connectivity even if I'm at a hotel that either does not offer it, charges an outrageous fee, or where it is "broken" and cannot be fixed by hotel staff (a very frequent occurrence.) Furthermore, I have to carry a laptop as well as my iPad. No option. The iPad is great but it's no substitute for a large quad core laptop. With the hotspot I can use both simultaneously. Something I could not do if I had 3G support only for the iPad.

The downside, as you note is that I pay about $50 per month for 5gigs (which I almost never use) on a two-year contract. In contrast Verizon offers month-to-month data service for the iPad at a lower cost. That's certainly a consideration if you need a cell connection only periodically.

OP
C

ChrisAnderson

iPF Noob
Reaction score
CLEAR 4G service

Thanks for the input, i pulled out and interesting piece of mail yesterday. it was from a company called CLEAR clear.com or gotoclear.com and they are offering a very interesting deal. $60 a mo. for 4G home and 4G mobile, unlimited. the downfall is they are only in a limited number of cities as of 2011 with more coverage coming. has anyone purchased this service? If so how is it?

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the input, i pulled out and interesting piece of mail yesterday. it was from a company called CLEAR clear.com or gotoclear.com and they are offering a very interesting deal. $60 a mo. for 4G home and 4G mobile, unlimited. the downfall is they are only in a limited number of cities as of 2011 with more coverage coming. has anyone purchased this service? If so how is it?

Don't have it. Headquarters is here in Seattle. Headed by a consortium of high tech bazillionaires. It's a legitimate deal. You're correct that the limitation is coverage. Its obvious competitors come from two sources: traditional ISP providers such as cable companies and land line phone services and wireless carriers such as Verizon Wireless/AT&T.

As far as quality of service is concerned, it appears to vary significantly depending on where you are and what services you're looking for. The "4G" designation is (unfortunately) mainly marketing hype since there are no true standards of what it consists of. (VZW LTE 4G for example, is about 2-3 times faster than AT&T 4G and Sprint 4G.)

All in all, my guess is that you'll get better (but obviously more expensive) performance with other options. On the other hand, folks who cannot get (or don't want) adequate home internet and wireless coverage from other sources and where Clear coverage is good may find it to be a good alternative.

I'd recommend you check the internet (sites like Yelp) for customer reviews in your local area. They seem to vary greatly with some areas (e.g. Austin) being especially negative while others (e.g. Seattle) having much better reviews.

m3incorp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When I purchased my ipad 2 wifi, I thought I would be disappointed since I travel a lot. Well it turns out that every single hotel except one that I've stayed in had free wifi. The other one charged $5 for the entire week stay. I have a great wifi at home, so no problem there. If I'm out and about and just can't bear to check the internet on my phone, there are plenty of fast food parking lots I can pull into for free wifi. I know there are many people that swear they can't live without 3G on their ipad; it's just that hasn't been the case for me. I just don't see paying $35 a month for something that I may have to use once in a matter of month, years. You said you are installing a good N wireless in your home, so no problem there.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you use public wifi, even paid wifi at hotels and such, be aware that you don't control security and you have no idea who has access to your data. There are even some scammers who set up free wifi networks and wait for unsuspecting people to log on. Google for something like "public wifi risks" and you can decide whether you want to risk your email accounts, social network accounts, financial info, etc., depending on what you use your iPad to do.

For me, 30 bucks a month is a better choice than public wifi any day. If I couldn't afford it, I'd still avoid public wifi.

By the way, there's no subscription required for 3G. Pay only when you use it, by the month or till you use your data limit.

Last edited:

m3incorp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I agree if you are terrified that there are scammers after you, then don't ever use wifi. Hmmm I would never do things such as banking over public wifi but browsing the internet....yep sure do.

Yes you are right, at least with Verizon you can pay the $30 monthly fee whenever you want to use the 3G. Still you have to pay the $130 price for the 3G iPad and then whatever the cost is whenever you decide to use 3G.

When I want to use my ipad using my phones 3G, I just use one of the many free tethering programs. I have only been in a situation once, while on the road that I needed to do that.

Bottom line, the choice will ultimately depend on what a particular person finds meets their needs. Some of us use our ipads for different uses. I have a couple desktops and a laptop for serious use. I use my ipad2 strictly for convenience.

I respect everyone's choices.

If you use public wifi, even paid wifi at hotels and such, be aware that you don't control security and you have no idea who has access to your data. There are even some scammers who set up free wifi networks and wait for unsuspecting people to log on. Google for something like "public wifi risks" and you can decide whether you want to risk your email accounts, social network accounts, financial info, etc., depending on what you use your iPad to do.

For me, 30 bucks a month is a better choice than public wifi any day. If I couldn't afford it, I'd still avoid public wifi.

By the way, there's no subscription required for 3G. Pay only when you use it, by the month or till you use your data limit.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I agree if you are terrified that there are scammers after you, then don't ever use wifi. Hmmm I would never do things such as banking over public wifi but browsing the internet....yep sure do.

Yes you are right, at least with Verizon you can pay the $30 monthly fee whenever you want to use the 3G. Still you have to pay the $130 price for the 3G iPad and then whatever the cost is whenever you decide to use 3G.

When I want to use my ipad using my phones 3G, I just use one of the many free tethering programs. I have only been in a situation once, while on the road that I needed to do that.

Bottom line, the choice will ultimately depend on what a particular person finds meets their needs. Some of us use our ipads for different uses. I have a couple desktops and a laptop for serious use. I use my ipad2 strictly for convenience.

I respect everyone's choices.

Lol. Scammers are after "everyone's" data. They don't care about you or me as individuals. If you don't use your iPad for private stuff, no sweat. Lots of iPad users check email, social network, buy stuff, etc., with their iPads, so they should be aware that they're risking their data if they use public wifi.

No need to be defensive or imply that I'm paranoid. We all take security measures with our data if we have any sense. That's why people secure their wifi at home. But for some reason many people don't realize that public wifi carries risks. That's what scammers count on.

m3incorp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Kaykaykay said:
Lol. Scammers are after "everyone's" data. They don't care about you or me as individuals. If you don't use your iPad for private stuff, no sweat. Lots of iPad users check email, social network, buy stuff, etc., with their iPads, so they should be aware that they're risking their data if they use public wifi.

No need to be defensive or imply that I'm paranoid. We all take security measures with our data if we have any sense. That's why people secure their wifi at home. But for some reason many people don't realize that public wifi carries risks. That's what scammers count on.

I agree. Guess I assumed that most people are aware of the dangers of using wifi. Though I think we swayed from what the OP was asking. No foul, no harm.

Most reactions

Latest posts