What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

International Warranty when iPAD purchased from USA

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thought I would pass this on as its important.

If you live out side USA and purchase an iPAD or other Apple products please read the TERMS AND AGREEMENT on Apple's website. ( See link below) The iPad is covered by a limited international warranty. Its important to register the iPAD when you receive it and keep the receipt in case you require service.

Extended Apple care also can be purchased from USA if so desired. The following information you should find helpful. Please visit the following link for full details.
http://images.apple.com/legal/warranty/docs/NA_iPad_Warranty_v20.pdf

"If you seek service in a country that is not the country of original purchase, you will comply with all applicable import and export laws and regulations and be responsible for all custom duties, V.A.T. and other associated taxes and charges. Where international service is available, Apple may repair or exchange defective products and parts with comparable products and parts that comply with local standards. In accordance with applicable law, Apple may require that you furnish proof of purchase details and/or comply with registration requirements before receiving warranty service."
Quoted from Apple.com

Cheers Colin :):):):):D

kheldour

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I did import a few MacBooks and loads of iPhones (when they were new on the market 3 years ago) and I never had a warranty issue.

In Germany we have by law an extended warranty of 24 months. First year is Vendor Guarantee, second year is down to the reseller or shop, who sold the product to you. But it has to be clear, that the defect has to be from the very beginning.

So, if we buy a product in Germany, then you pay the currency uplift for most of the products, but you get the "extended warranty".

If you import the product legally, then you save probably 10% over local prices. If you get around customs - which would be illegal - then you could safe another 19%.

Rgds

Joerg

nirvanatgr

iPF Noob
Reaction score

If you live out side USA and purchase an iPAD or other Apple products please read the TERMS AND AGREEMENT on Apple's website. ( See link below) The iPad is covered by a limited international warranty. Its important to register the iPAD when you receive it and keep the receipt in case you require service.

Extended Apple care also can be purchased from USA if so desired. The following information you should find helpful. Please visit the following link for full details.

"If you seek service in a country that is not the country of original purchase, you will comply with all applicable import and export laws and regulations and be responsible for all custom duties, V.A.T. and other associated taxes and charges. Where international service is available, Apple may repair or exchange defective products and parts with comparable products and parts that comply with local standards. In accordance with applicable law, Apple may require that you furnish proof of purchase details and/or comply with registration requirements before receiving warranty service."
Quoted from Apple.com

thanks sir, it very well

j0yful

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I forgot to ask my receipt from my friend who purchased it. and it was last year ago! lol

vinvan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Colin,

I live in Indonesia and have my brother in USA bought iPad 2 64GB 3G (AT&T).
My question is do we really need to activate AT&T in USA or just grab it and use it in Indonesia without activate it ? I heard from some people that we need to activate it in USA before took it to other country ouside USA otherwise we'll face problem to activate it using the local sim card.

Please kindly advice.

Thanks,
VinVan

Quoted from Apple.com

JJK

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I bought my IPad2 via a reseller. Receipt is not availabe, so in case of problems I would have to go through him.

If I would buy the Apple Care would this settle it? Would I then be able to go directly to the Apple store?

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Colin,

My question is do we really need to activate AT&T in USA or just grab it and use it in Indonesia without activate it ? I heard from some people that we need to activate it in USA before took it to other country ouside USA otherwise we'll face problem to activate it using the local sim card.

Please kindly advice.

Thanks,
VinVan

Quoted from Apple.com

As far as we know, when you activate an AT&T iPad, the software expects to find an AT&T SIM card in the iPad and it takes you through the process of activating this card.

Have a look at this article from Apple...

AT&T: How to set up a new Cellular Data account on iPad Wi-Fi + 3G

If you take your iPad back to Indonesia and put in a local SIM card, it is not clear how you would be able to negotiate this procedure. We have several Members who purchased iPads in the US and returned home with their iPads and did not activate them in the US. When they got home they were not able to activate the 3G functionality.

Tim

vinvan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. But the website said that iPad 2 is unlocked. What does it mean, if we still have to activate it in USA ?

Thanks ...

Hi Colin,

Please kindly advice.

Thanks,
VinVan

Quoted from Apple.com

As far as we know, when you activate an AT&T iPad, the software expects to find an AT&T SIM card in the iPad and it takes you through the process of activating this card.

Have a look at this article from Apple...

AT&T: How to set up a new Cellular Data account on iPad Wi-Fi + 3G

If you take your iPad back to Indonesia and put in a local SIM card, it is not clear how you would be able to negotiate this procedure. We have several Members who purchased iPads in the US and returned home with their iPads and did not activate them in the US. When they got home they were not able to activate the 3G functionality.

Tim

vinvan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Tim,

Do you know how much the cost (the cheapest) to activate AT&T ?

Thanks ...

bastono

iPF Noob
Reaction score
vinvan said:
Hi Tim,

Do you know how much the cost (the cheapest) to activate AT&T ?

Thanks ...

Vinvan, i live in Indonesia and my iPad2 was bought from US.
Don't worry at all about activation. I goes without any problem with any local SIM card. FYI, I did the activation of mine with Telkomsel operator.

vinvan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
bastono said:
Vinvan, i live in Indonesia and my iPad2 was bought from US.
Don't worry at all about activation. I goes without any problem with any local SIM card. FYI, I did the activation of mine with Telkomsel operator.

Hi,

Thanks a lot for your information. Highly appreciated. Then i will order my brother not to activate it.
nice to know you ...

VinVan

Most reactions

Latest posts