What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

International Users -- Prepare for the worst

fareast555

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just bought my new shiny iPad from the Mac Store in Ginza, Tokyo. Stopped by for a beer expecting to use it straight from the box. No chance!

Luckily, I had my PC (although I'm a Mac guy through and through) so I could at least plug it into iTunes...but...

To download apps I need an account, which means my credit card must be in the US (ditto for Paypal accounts). So I guess I have to download the Japanese iTunes and use a Japanese credit card....or will that give me the Japanese language version even though I want the English one...who the f&%$ knows. But it's been 3 hours and I have yet to use it. And I still have no idea how to transfer PDF files that I need to read, which is one many reason I bought the thing anyway.

Apple, did you do any international UX design testing on this thing at all? So far, not so good. :mad:

j0yful

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi fareast!

I'm an International user myself.

You can register from the country where you're from even if you are in Japan. Use your credit card from your country .

There are a lot of free apps available for download in the app store.

Transferring of Pdf could be by thru pc, or you can use dropbox. A dropbox app for iPad is also free.

iPad-Sweden

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As j0yful says there is no problem with this issue anymore.
Create a us account, skip the creditcard procedur, and get some giftcards that u fill the us account with.

Last edited by a moderator:

Luvntravln

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I live in Australia; my iPad is registered through the USA using a USA credit card and a USA address. That allows me to access the USA iTunes/Amazon/Kindle Store with and obtain all that is available.

wrecklass

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OP
F

fareast555

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for all the posts, people. I saw the small line at the top of the registration sequence telling me to change my country. I did and was able to register with my card here in Japan.

I think my initial shock/disappointment was that when I first went to the Japanese app store I was slapped in the face with the typically useless stuff you see in Japan -- anime, English apps, and just, well, crap. But the workaround was to browse the US store and then search for ones that were also in Japan. Of course I can't access everything -- but I think I can get what I need.

But this community is great. Thanks for the support and the PMs about this stuff.

Oh, and I found a way to get PDFs over. Now I'm trying to find the best app to allow me to read and to mark them up as I go.

OP
F

fareast555

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OK, I'm just cooking up a healthy serving of "crow" to eat.

I shouldn't have given up on the iPad so fast...

I still think that S. Jobs esq. could have built a product that was a bit better "out-of-the-box" and a little more in tune with needs beyond watching videos....

But now that I have a handle on the apps, I can see that this iPad is going to be with me ALL THE TIME. Ok, I can't use it for my major design work, etc, but for the research side of things -- where I read and mark up research papers (now I can do with iAnnotate PDF) and read PPTs and make summary files that I can later write into lit reviews (Quickoffice) -- I'm well set. Plus, I can dump, read and reply to my Gmail account even when I'm not online.

This is starting to sound like an infomercial. But all I want to say is that although it takes a bit of getting used to, this thing really is the biz!!

Mike

Most reactions