International support wi fi & 3g

Discussion in 'International iPad Users' started by col.bris, May 18, 2010.

1. Sehat

Sehat
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    I have a 64GB, 3G ipad in Jakarta. I bought a SIM card from the largest carrier here, Telkomsel, and cut it to fit in the iPad. I activated and registered the SIM card to carry data, and got confirmation on this through SMS (while the card was in my mobile). I have the correct APN settings in the iPad, and it gets a great signal. However, it will not connect to the internet! Does this mean I will have to jailbreak, or does this mean I am still a complete novice with Apple devices (since this is my 1st)?
    Thanks

2. IpadOne

IpadOne
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    I think we should start a thread , about APN (3G data) settings by country and how to cut well the sim card …. sooner or later this subject will come back again …

3. Java888

Java888
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Hi Sehat,

I read your post and I have the same Ipad specs and the same problem. However, I have not cut any sim card yet. May be you/we should go to Semangi Mall as I heard they probably have the largest selection of Ipad accessories and may be someone can assist on set-up the 3G network.

I am using cbn.net for my email and First Media for internet access. Apparently I have problem setting up my email. I called both ISP and they do no know how to set-up email for Ipad.Do you have any suggestions how to set-up my email account with the correct pop and smtp?

At any rate, thanks for reading my post and let me know your findings regarding above.

Terima Kasih Banyak,

Java

4. Zorban

Zorban
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Use one of these 2 settings:

Telkomsel Setting:
    Access Point Name : telkomsel
    Username : wap
    Password : wap123

Or:

Telkomsel

APN: Internet
    User ID: wap (or you can leave it blank)
    Password: wap123 (or you can leave it blank)

One of them should work.
    Also If you cut the card down yourself then make sure the ipad does not report sim not present.
    You could insert the sim into a phone to make sure it works with data before cutting/ using it on the ipad.

5. Sehat

Sehat
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Zorban:
    Those settings make no difference, I've tried them both, as well as making sure the card works in my phone.

Java:
    You set up email through iTunes, but only works for a few providers. See the iPad manual for more info on setting up the email.

All:
    I wonder if the iPad needs a GPRS 3G, I think telkomsel is HSDPA, but am not sure. I am going to try IM3 and Indosat sim cards to see if it makes any difference. My iPad gets a great signal, but has no Internet connection, even though my telkomsel sim card is registered for data.

6. tlviken

tlviken
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Need urgent help!

Hi!

I bought my iPad in Germany when it was launched there, but I live in Norway.
    Anyhow, I really love my iPad, and I have been protecting it well with hardcase around it and so on..

The problem is: When I try to turn ON my iPad, you can see that the screen backlight gets turned on. And thats about it. If you try to push the screen, you can hear it "unlocking" or starting other apps, but still, the screen remains on backlight. :( No apple logo or anything.

What I´ve tried so far: First, I tried reset. Many times. Didnt work. I have tried to restore it, without luck, 2 times. Tried to let the battery drain out, and charge it, didnt work. Finally, I called Apple Support today because I heard the support is international. But it turns out that no workshop in Norway will touch it since it has not been released here yet.

Is there a solution to this? Should I ship it abroad to get it fixed or wait a few months for it to get released here?

If I should ship it abroad, how do I do this? the apple support guy on the phone didnt know. :/

Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks!

7. tlviken

tlviken
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:

Wow, it looks like I finally solved the problem. My iPad has been like this for 4 days now, and what I did is that i just tried to push hard, but still gently, all over specific areas of the screen. My iPad just reset itself and now it works just fine! Pretty weird, but at least I wont have to ship it abroad.

8. Java888

Java888
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Hi Sehat,

I went to XL cell phone carrier at Pondak Indah Mall and purchased a Rp100.000, 3G data sim card. Then I went to Toko PDA and asked them to cut the sim-card to the mini sim card size. Fortunately, I have 3G access now. However, I will go to Indostat in the near future in Kunnigan as I heard that they are currently selling the latest 3G mini-sim card and have better coverage area in Jakarta. Btw, just tip the technicians at Toko PDA +/-Rp20,000 for helping you cut the card. If I am not mistaken, the card is limited to 500mb/month. I did a speedtest and I have download speed +/-1.5 mbps. Good luck and keep us inform.

9. FirstApple

FirstApple
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    No 3G connection

I bought my ipad64gb3g in US. after 2 months of use here in zhuhai china, lastweek, my 3G icon is gone and only full bars chinaunicom and ... I still have 150RMB on my card. I have tried evrything re-input apn, restart my ipad, reset network setting, remove reinsert sim card still no 3g icon and cannot connect to internet outside wifi network.

Anyone can help before i get a new sim card?
    Thanks.

10. IpadOne

IpadOne
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Addict

Thanks Received:

My iPad 3G (also come from US) , work fine in Guangzhou with Unicom too , have you try to reset network setting ?

Setting> general > reset > reset network settings

Some days ago i have bluetooth problem i did that and now my keyboard work like a charm

maybe that will also work for you

I hope that help