What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

International support wi fi & 3g

tlviken

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Need urgent help!

Hi!

I bought my iPad in Germany when it was launched there, but I live in Norway.
Anyhow, I really love my iPad, and I have been protecting it well with hardcase around it and so on..

The problem is: When I try to turn ON my iPad, you can see that the screen backlight gets turned on. And thats about it. If you try to push the screen, you can hear it "unlocking" or starting other apps, but still, the screen remains on backlight. :( No apple logo or anything.

What I´ve tried so far: First, I tried reset. Many times. Didnt work. I have tried to restore it, without luck, 2 times. Tried to let the battery drain out, and charge it, didnt work. Finally, I called Apple Support today because I heard the support is international. But it turns out that no workshop in Norway will touch it since it has not been released here yet.

Is there a solution to this? Should I ship it abroad to get it fixed or wait a few months for it to get released here?

If I should ship it abroad, how do I do this? the apple support guy on the phone didnt know. :/

Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks!

tlviken

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi!

I bought my iPad in Germany when it was launched there, but I live in Norway.
Anyhow, I really love my iPad, and I have been protecting it well with hardcase around it and so on..

The problem is: When I try to turn ON my iPad, you can see that the screen backlight gets turned on. And thats about it. If you try to push the screen, you can hear it "unlocking" or starting other apps, but still, the screen remains on backlight. :( No apple logo or anything.

What I´ve tried so far: First, I tried reset. Many times. Didnt work. I have tried to restore it, without luck, 2 times. Tried to let the battery drain out, and charge it, didnt work. Finally, I called Apple Support today because I heard the support is international. But it turns out that no workshop in Norway will touch it since it has not been released here yet.

Is there a solution to this? Should I ship it abroad to get it fixed or wait a few months for it to get released here?

If I should ship it abroad, how do I do this? the apple support guy on the phone didnt know. :/

Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks!

Wow, it looks like I finally solved the problem. My iPad has been like this for 4 days now, and what I did is that i just tried to push hard, but still gently, all over specific areas of the screen. My iPad just reset itself and now it works just fine! Pretty weird, but at least I wont have to ship it abroad.

Java888

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Sehat,

I went to XL cell phone carrier at Pondak Indah Mall and purchased a Rp100.000, 3G data sim card. Then I went to Toko PDA and asked them to cut the sim-card to the mini sim card size. Fortunately, I have 3G access now. However, I will go to Indostat in the near future in Kunnigan as I heard that they are currently selling the latest 3G mini-sim card and have better coverage area in Jakarta. Btw, just tip the technicians at Toko PDA +/-Rp20,000 for helping you cut the card. If I am not mistaken, the card is limited to 500mb/month. I did a speedtest and I have download speed +/-1.5 mbps. Good luck and keep us inform.

FirstApple

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No 3G connection

I bought my ipad64gb3g in US. after 2 months of use here in zhuhai china, lastweek, my 3G icon is gone and only full bars chinaunicom and ... I still have 150RMB on my card. I have tried evrything re-input apn, restart my ipad, reset network setting, remove reinsert sim card still no 3g icon and cannot connect to internet outside wifi network.

Anyone can help before i get a new sim card?
Thanks.

IpadOne

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I bought my ipad64gb3g in US. after 2 months of use here in zhuhai china, lastweek, my 3G icon is gone and only full bars chinaunicom and ... I still have 150RMB on my card. I have tried evrything re-input apn, restart my ipad, reset network setting, remove reinsert sim card still no 3g icon and cannot connect to internet outside wifi network.

Anyone can help before i get a new sim card?
Thanks.

My iPad 3G (also come from US) , work fine in Guangzhou with Unicom too , have you try to reset network setting ?

Setting> general > reset > reset network settings

Some days ago i have bluetooth problem i did that and now my keyboard work like a charm

maybe that will also work for you

I hope that help

Marty58

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Excellent Advice

BIG THANKS TO ZORBAN, i tried these settings and it worked, thanks for the information:D

Telkomsel Setting:
Access Point Name : telkomsel
Username : wap
Password : wap123

Or:

Telkomsel

APN: Internet
User ID: wap (or you can leave it blank)
Password: wap123 (or you can leave it blank)

One of them should work.
Also If you cut the card down yourself then make sure the ipad does not report sim not present.
You could insert the sim into a phone to make sure it works with data before cutting/ using it on the ipad.

Last edited:

voodookills31

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey all. Bought an iPad on post here in germany. Might be a dumb question, but it feels crappy to not use apps that are only used in the us like pandora and such. Is there a way around it?

OP
col.bris

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum I understand your issue. Do you have a US itunes account or just German? There is a way to set up a itunes account using US itunes cards however apps like Pandora can detect where you are and prevent you from using the services. In saying that you have full access to the itunes Apps in USA plus movies,tv, music News etc If you do not have the US account set up let me know with a private message and I will give you the details on how to access it.. Your cost for a $50 itunes card is total $52 ( just $2 more)

Once you have the US account you can sync both the itune stores I have accounts with US, Great Britain and Australia.

For the record the only reason I do not publish the details in the forum as it contains email addresses and the name of the contact i USA I have no financial gain in this it is purely a service which I subscribe to.

My house hold has 2 x iphone 3 2x iphone 4 1x ipad, ix ipod touch 1x ipod nano 1 x older Apple TV and a Mac book.......All sync fine from 3 Itunes stores.
\Hope this helps

fer0006

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hi, i live outside of usa, and i want to buy the ipad 2 3g, however my country is not selling it yet. I plan to travel to usa and i woul like to buy it, but as i see they are only selling it for verizon and at&t, i dont know if it will work in my country with another provider.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hi, i live outside of usa, and i want to buy the ipad 2 3g, however my country is not selling it yet. I plan to travel to usa and i woul like to buy it, but as i see they are only selling it for verizon and at&t, i dont know if it will work in my country with another provider.

The Verizon model will only work in the US because it uses the CDMA 3G protocol that only exists in the US.

The AT&T model uses GSM, which will work in almost any other country in the world, with the notable exception, I believe, of Japan. You will need to initialise the iPad in the US but then it will work in your country with a locally-obtained microSIM - if you can't get a microSIM a regular SIM can (literally) be cut to size to fit the iPad - you can easily find details on the web.

Tim
Scotland

Nbrett1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tim SPRACKLEN said:
The Verizon model will only work in the US because it uses the CDMA 3G protocol that only exists in the US.

The AT&T model uses GSM, which will work in almost any other country in the world, with the notable exception, I believe, of Japan. You will need to initialise the iPad in the US but then it will work in your country with a locally-obtained microSIM - if you can't get a microSIM a regular SIM can (literally) be cut to size to fit the iPad - you can easily find details on the web.

Tim
Scotland

Please could you help, I want to find out which network my iPad is locked onto, it shows all south African networks available, but when I try to connect to vodacom my service provider it says network access restricted

Nbrett1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
col.bris said:
Welcome to the forum I understand your issue. Do you have a US itunes account or just German? There is a way to set up a itunes account using US itunes cards however apps like Pandora can detect where you are and prevent you from using the services. In saying that you have full access to the itunes Apps in USA plus movies,tv, music News etc If you do not have the US account set up let me know with a private message and I will give you the details on how to access it.. Your cost for a $50 itunes card is total $52 ( just $2 more)

Once you have the US account you can sync both the itune stores I have accounts with US, Great Britain and Australia.

For the record the only reason I do not publish the details in the forum as it contains email addresses and the name of the contact i USA I have no financial gain in this it is purely a service which I subscribe to.

My house hold has 2 x iphone 3 2x iphone 4 1x ipad, ix ipod touch 1x ipod nano 1 x older Apple TV and a Mac book.......All sync fine from 3 Itunes stores.
\Hope this helps

Could you perhaps help me to understand why my iPad says network restricted whilst showing the local networks available I am in south Africa and cannot access the vodacom network or any network here because of this

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
col.bris said:

\Hope this helps

Could you perhaps help me to understand why my iPad says network restricted whilst showing the local networks available I am in south Africa and cannot access the vodacom network or any network here because of this

What SIM card do you have in your iPad? This message usually means that the SIM card in your iPad is from a service provider that does not have a roaming agreement with the network you are trying to join. So you need to be sure to get a SIM card that's compatible with the network you want to operate with. For example, if you want to join the Vodacom network, then you'll need a Vodocom SIM card and account.

Get back to us if there's a further problem

Tim

KaiHD

iPF Noob
Reaction score
....Your cost for a $50 itunes card is total $52 ( just $2 more)

Once you have the US account you can sync both the itunes stores I have accounts with US, Great Britain and Australia.

Hi, I already have an iTunes USA account. Can you PM me sbout the service you use to get the prepaid iTunes card? All the ones I found online cost a lot more (More than $2).

ceerou

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Accessing different Itunes stores

I bought an IPAD2 in US and registered it there. I live part-time in France and I would like to access apps and films from the French itunes store but not lose my US apps and be able to switch between US and French stores in the future. Can you tell me how to do this?

Most reactions

Latest posts