What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

international sim cards

stong

iPF Noob
Reaction score
is it better to buy an international sim card in the UK before I travel (to Portugal) or is it cheaper (and easy) to buy them abroad. And can you set up without the use of wifi?

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Most Members have found it better to buy when you get there - though you might want to invest in a SIM cutter to convert a regular SIM to microSIM - as the latter are still relatively uncommon.

Tim

MoneyGuy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
What should I do when I travel to the States? Do I buy a sim card in some store and install it? I guess then I have to activate with a credit card? Do they accept Canadian cards? Does it work the same as in Canada? Lots of questions. I someone can help me out.

noonie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
MoneyGuy said:
What should I do when I travel to the States? Do I buy a sim card in some store and install it? I guess then I have to activate with a credit card? Do they accept Canadian cards? Does it work the same as in Canada? Lots of questions. I someone can help me out.

I live in Canada, bought my iPad in the USA. I travel back and forth often and did not require to buy an additional simcard....using what was loaded in the iPad at time of purchase with NO problem.

MoneyGuy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
MoneyGuy said:

I live in Canada, bought my iPad in the USA. I travel back and forth often and did not require to buy an additional simcard....using what was loaded in the iPad at time of purchase with NO problem.

But my situation is the reverse. I bought an iPad in Canada and want to use it in the States without paying a lot. I think I have to use a sim card from the States.

noonie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
MoneyGuy said:
But my situation is the reverse. I bought an iPad in Canada and want to use it in the States without paying a lot. I think I have to use a sim card from the States.

Not sure then...but mine works both in the USA and Canada...without having to get anything additional. While I bought it in the USA, whenever I buy an app I used my Canadian credit card ! Goog luck !

jwt873

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Not sure then...but mine works both in the USA and Canada...without having to get anything additional. While I bought it in the USA, whenever I buy an app I used my Canadian credit card ! Goog luck !

Your SIM works in both countries with no roaming charges? .. What 3G carrier are you using and what data plan do you have?

Last edited:

monkeyboy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
if you have a non US GSM device then the only US carrier that would have 3G data for you will be AT&T, since Tmobile US uses AWS freq. 1700 for 3g data. TMo would be okay and cheaper for voice, EDGE data and text 1900mhz.

You can easily get an ATT sim at their stores, or on ebay.

Most reactions

Latest posts