What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Instapaper - Save selection?

Razorbill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
A question regarding this fantastic app;

Is there any way to only save a portion of a page? Ideally I would like to be able to only save a selected part of the text/images. I'm using Firefox 7 (on a Mac) and tried the addon Instaright, but it saves the whole page even though I only have part of the text selected.

Any ideas?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Instapaper is best for saving and reading entire articles later.

Evernote is better for clipping notes from the web. It has far more flexibility for note gathering/taking, and organization/search tools that Instapaper does not have all. It also has plugins for most browsers, and will sync between your iPad and computer. And though the solution is slow, you can clip from Safari on the iPad as well, or use the built in service in iCab Mobile.

You may have guessed that I like Evernote, so my idea is to get a free Evernote account, apps, and plugins, then give it a try.

http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-help/19911-evernote-web-clipper-installation.html

OP
R

Razorbill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks, I'll have a look at that app, but I'm still hoping to find a way to "Save selection" in Instapaper.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Well, it is hardly convenient, but if you go to the Instapaper site, log in, and go to the Extras link at the top you'll see that you have a special email that you can use to send long emails or article links to your Instapaper account.

If you copy from the website then paste it into an email it should work.

I experimented a bit. Copying a bit of text worked fine. Trying to copy large sections of the web page failed, the server rejected it. I think because of some incompatible elements in the selection. So, on a whim I tried using Safari's Readability feature, and copied the same portion of the test article from that. This worked fine.

So, if you are willing to jump through a few hoops, you can do it. At least for some content.

OP
R

Razorbill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thx again.

The problem I have is that some pages with multiple "columns", for example pictures on the side of the text, gets all messed up when I save the whole page. If I could save only the text that I have highlighted/selected it would be better.

Too bad about Instaright not working, it was supposed to have this function.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If you are willing to pay, Readability might work. You could check out the free version to see how it formats the pages you want, then decide if it is worth $5 a month to you.

Also, check Safari's Reader feature out on the pages. If it works you can use it and the email address as described before.

Most reactions