What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Instant Alpha

pilgrimav8r

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Does anybody know how to remove the background colour of say a numbers spreadsheet?

I should say these spreadsheets where created many moons ago, not by me, with a white background - I want to be able to get rid of the background of the image, in this case white and have them say transparent!

I have played around with the Instant Alpha bit in the formatting but it just isn't good enough - anybody know of an App or method?

Many thanks in anticipation and for those that have followed my perceived iOS 8 saga you will be as delighted as I am to know that apple replaced my iPad 3 64 Gb cellular/wifi with a brand new one, free of charge because they just did not know why it reacted so badly to iOS 8 - I am now back in the land of the happy with Apple people.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Photoshop Touch. Use the various selection tools to choose the parts of the picture you want transparent, cut them, save, then export the image as a PNG.

The magic lasso tool is well suited to selecting blocks of color.

It's more trouble than just picking a color to be transparent, but it's also more flexible. You can leave in solid sections of the background behind items that need high contrast, or where you don't want the new background showing through. Or you can just change their color.

This should work well with something like a spreadsheet. it would be easy to get rid of the surrounding background while leaving the cell contents alone.

Last edited:
OP
pilgrimav8r

pilgrimav8r

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thx TP but PS Touch is far to difficult for a clot like me I have it and I have tried but brain cells are definitely lacking when it comes to multiple layers. I have a pal who is a real hiss on photoshop but boring with it!!!! To be honest I have found that in Keynote if you select the image then click on image then Instant Alpha if you click and hold say the background colour and move it around a little the % of what you are doing increases or decreases which ever way you move it I have found this to be almost perfect for what I'm doing albeit it not brilliant if labels are present on the original. Give it a go I was really very pleasantly surprised. Ta again.] Screen Shot 2015-04-28 at 17.19.49.jpg

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-04-28 at 17.16.24.jpg
    Screen Shot 2015-04-28 at 17.16.24.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 373

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
No problem, as long as you found something that works for you. I hadn't realized you were working with Keynote, or I might've looked into it more closely.

Most reactions

Latest posts