What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Installing Android on the iPad

Thphilli

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't get it if u put a full android os on iPad won't that make it slower.

No, it will make it full featured. It will allow the user to run flash if they feel like it. It will slow the user to change the keyboard to a different one if they feel like it. It will not slow it down, it will just give the user choice that apple doesn't think they should have.

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
But you will still be missing many of the features that make the Android tablets so much better, like memory expansion, more RAM, USB ports, HDMI ports, etc, etc, etc.

If you want an Android tablet, sell the iPad and buy an Android tablet.

Digikid

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't get it if u put a full android os on iPad won't that make it slower.

No, it will make it full featured. It will allow the user to run flash if they feel like it. It will slow the user to change the keyboard to a different one if they feel like it. It will not slow it down, it will just give the user choice that apple doesn't think they should have.

Well said.

But you will still be missing many of the features that make the Android tablets so much better, like memory expansion, more RAM, USB ports, HDMI ports, etc, etc, etc.

Also a good point.......

rossi636

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Not a good point. We are in the hackingvsection. Don't ruin the discussion with "sell the iPad and buy an android"' comment.

Thphilli

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Not a good point. We are in the hackingvsection. Don't ruin the discussion with "sell the iPad and buy an android"' comment.

Not to mention that with Android I would be running a DLNA server, which renders the HDMI port meaningless, a SAMBA server, which renders the USB port meaningless and I would have the same amount of storage as my phone right now at 16gb so expandability would be less of an issue. The ram will hurt, pretty badly actually, jesus Apple you couldn't spare another $.25 worth of ram to up it to 512MB at least??

Least of all, it will be very intersting just to see how the hardware in the iPad can run Android. Android is a more demanding OS than iOS, because it simply does a lot more. The Applications on iPad I would assume are more demanding than similar ones on Android however, and they seem to run plenty smoothly, so unless it is just some CRAZY optimization Apple did to make them so smooth, Android should run fairly decently.

Ender

iPF Noob
Reaction score
TWITTER FEEDS FOR DEVELOPMENT PROGRESS!!!

I bring you good tidings and gifts of feeds. Look up @Hexxeh for updates on his progress with OpeniBoot and the Android OS. Theres like 2 other people with feeds, but none of them really do the iPad Android version.

NO new developments, and Hexxeh hasn't made it clear when the exact launch date is, just this fall

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Not to mention that with Android I would be running a DLNA server, which renders the HDMI port meaningless, a SAMBA server, which renders the USB port meaningless and I would have the same amount of storage as my phone right now at 16gb so expandability would be less of an issue. The ram will hurt, pretty badly actually, jesus Apple you couldn't spare another $.25 worth of ram to up it to 512MB at least??

Least of all, it will be very intersting just to see how the hardware in the iPad can run Android. Android is a more demanding OS than iOS, because it simply does a lot more. The Applications on iPad I would assume are more demanding than similar ones on Android however, and they seem to run plenty smoothly, so unless it is just some CRAZY optimization Apple did to make them so smooth, Android should run fairly decently.

A DLNA server would not allow me to stream videos from my tablet to our TV at work for those long weekend night shifts or our TV in the bedroom which isn't connected to the network. But an HDMI port would allow that very thing.

USB ports work for much more than simple data storage, but if that's all you would use it for, fine.

Vinz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What is the Need of Android in iPad ... if you want android then buy Galaxy Tab instead

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
An little bump.

Has there been an release of an custom android 3x for ipad 2?

A little bump? You realise this thread was over 16 months old, right? :)

The answer is no. It's not possible to boot any version of Android on the iPad2 and likely never will be.

Pargadox

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's better to have one device that are capable for dualbooting ios and android without having to buy both devices for about 1k bucks

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Pargadox said:
It's better to have one device that are capable for dualbooting ios and android without having to buy both devices for about 1k bucks

That would be nice.
I actually bought an android phone, (that's what I am typing this on) because my ipad is just getting too old.
Android is very nice. I don't understand why it gets so much hate.

I love Google and Apple both, but for different reasons.

Pargadox

iPF Noob
Reaction score
graywolf said:
That would be nice.
I actually bought an android phone, (that's what I am typing this on) because my ipad is just getting too old.
Android is very nice. I don't understand why it gets so much hate.

I love Google and Apple both, but for different reasons.

i have had an android phone for about an year and had an android tablet (asus eeepad transformer) but it had some disfunctionality so i sended it back and got my money back and then bought my ipad.

the ipad is great and all with the apps, but i really miss to have regular phone games to give great quality on an 720p screen, but ipad only gives bad graphics when you zoom the apps.

and the biggest feature i really miss is the file manager and be able to download files to be auto shown in the image app and easy to find in the file manager.

Sent from my iPad 2 wifi 32gb (jailbreaked) using iPF

addiosamigo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Check out dreamboard and honey pad pro in cydia, thats the closest your gonna get to android!

Most reactions

Latest posts