What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Install single app without full sync?

SpiderHunter

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello,

First, please forgive me if this is a FAQ - I'm a newbie here (note post count!). Anyway, I tried to download a commercial app today, but it wouldn't load. It ended up in my iTunes library, and a popup box on the iPad recommended we sync it from there.

However, in order to do this, we had to back up first (which took ages), and then sync everything back. There doesn't seem to be any way of selecting all apps, other than one at a time, for syncing from iTunes to the iPad, but if all aren't selected I get a warning message that not all my apps will be re-synced.

What is the easiest thing to do here? I've tried syncing in both directions, I've tried selecting the new app, and it obstinately refuses to load onto the iPad. Is there any third party software which will allow the loading of just one app, without going through the maddening syncing business?

Thanks!
-S.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a well-known aversion to iTunes and have never synchronised my iPad except on day 1 - when I had no choice. I download all my apps directly to my iPad using either 3G (if they're less than 20 MB) or (unfortunately) WiFi if they're larger than 20 MB. There is absolutely no need to download apps to your PC first and then sync with the iPad.

Tim

OP
S

SpiderHunter

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, but this app simply wouldn't load wirelessly - it kept getting about half way through and then aborting. Then a popup message would appear advising us to sync it from iTunes. So far I've spent about 4 hours wrestling with iTunes and still can't install this one app! (And I've paid for it, too!)

-S.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OK - sorry to hear. If the problem persists and you simply can't get the app loaded, you can always get a refund; just call the Apple Support line with the transaction reference number and they'll give you a refund as a credit to your iTunes account.

I've not experienced any problems downloading apps, so I hope that someone else will be able to help.

Tim

richgalen

iPF Novice
Reaction score
My experience with the backup feature is: The process takes dramatically less time after the first few syncs. I'm not certain why this is, but the first time is by far the longest. I sync several times a day to keep OUTLOOK contacts and calendars synced with my iPad. I am not the world's most patient person, but I have no problem with watching the progress bar during the backup process.

I have found that for many larger apps, downloading over a hardwired connection, then synching it to my iPad to be far preferable to even a WiFi download.

Hope this helps.

OP
S

SpiderHunter

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, I've tried to do a full backup and restore, and the only result I can see is that I've lost half my apps - and this one new app still hasn't loaded! What I need is some sort of third party software which will allow me to load a single app onto the iPad without using iT*nes and its flaky sync. Maybe it's time for a jailbreak?

-S.

Most reactions