What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Install 2 of the same app

archie12

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Can someone explain to me why you cannot install the same game app twice on one device?

OP
A

archie12

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sorry it is not possible to do that on an iPad..... However I am curious why you would want to....

Sent from my iPad in Australia
It is a game app. I want to keep the progress in one, but also begin a new one.

ardchoille

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Can someone explain to me why you cannot install the same game app twice on one device?

An app consists of one or more files with each file having a unique path in the file system. For example, if a file has a path of /usr/share/file_one/data/data_file and you reinstall the app that provides that file, the existing data_file will either be overwritten with a copy of the same file or left in place since it already exists. If data_file is moved by the user, then the app may create a new file in the proper directory (/usr/share/file_one/data) or the app may fail in function because a required file is missing.

In order to install two separate copies of an app, the app must be specifically written by the developer to allow for custom file paths. This practice is somewhat rare because it increases the code base, introduces unnecessary bugs, and increases the time required for development and troubleshooting.

I hope that information was helpful.

Most reactions

Latest posts