What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

inserting the cursor

Yankee99

iPF Noob
Reaction score
sorry if this is a dumb question but i am new with the ipad...

i reply to many forums and can not insert the cursor in a word. i can insert it in between two words but not in the middle of a single word. if i make a typing mistake i now have to delete the whole word and start again. what is the setting to move the cursor where you want it?

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yankee99 said:
sorry if this is a dumb question but i am new with the ipad...

i reply to many forums and can not insert the cursor in a word. i can insert it in between two words but not in the middle of a single word. if i make a typing mistake i now have to delete the whole word and start again. what is the setting to move the cursor where you want it?

Touch and hold the word, a small magnifying glass will appear, you can then slide or roll your fingertip to get the cursor in the precise location.

The Archangel

OP
Y

Yankee99

iPF Noob
Reaction score
although the magnifying glass worked it is not very good...i did find something called swipeshiftcaret that is better..thanks.

Semel

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yankee99 said:
although the magnifying glass worked it is not very good...i did find something called swipeshiftcaret that is better..thanks.

Please explain.I would like to know more.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
SwipeShiftCaret is a jail breaking tweak from Cydia (the jail baker's "app store"). It can only be installed on a jail broken iPad. With it, you can position the cursor by swiping on the screen.

Marilyn

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Oh, and if I may be so bold (and if you're jail broken) - I'd suggest also taking a look at SwipeSelection. It also does the same thing (you move the cursor around by swiping the keyboard). IMNSHO, it's better than the one above. it's also the one I use on my iPad3, so there's that. :)

Just so's you know about all the tweaks out there for moving the cursor around...

Marilyn

Semel

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yup.Tried them both and yes SwipeSelection is the best option.Thank you.

quake5254

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Gabriel1 said:
Touch and hold the word, a small magnifying glass will appear, you can then slide or roll your fingertip to get the cursor in the precise location.

The Archangel

Thanks Gabriel, I learned this from you.

Most reactions