What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Inserting a dash within an email address.

mgosnell

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I hope I am not overlooking something that should be a simple thing however I cannot seem to be able to use a dash with an email address when using the mail app on my ipad2. Thanks much in advance for any assistance.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hm. The dash character should be at the bottom right of the keyboard when the keyboard is in email entry mode.

image-4261356073.jpg

If for some reason the keyboard is in normal mode the dash is found second row down on the left, after tapping the ".?123" key (bottom left).

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi and welcome to the Forum!

I have a hyphen in my email address.........Twerppoet has the right info......as always! ;)

OP
mgosnell

mgosnell

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you Twerpoet! I had to enter my keyboard settings and choose qwerty. My daughter had added an emoji emoticons keyboard to my ipad which I removed. Another interesting thing I noticed in your keyboard photo was that you have a microphone key. I can't seem to acquire a keyboard with that key? Not that I need one but just curious what may be different.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you Twerpoet! I had to enter my keyboard settings and choose qwerty. My daughter had added an emoji emoticons keyboard to my ipad which I removed. Another interesting thing I noticed in your keyboard photo was that you have a microphone key. I can't seem to acquire a keyboard with that key? Not that I need one but just curious what may be different.

iPad 2 doesn't have Siri, which is why later model iPads have a microphone on their keyboard.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score

Never thought of the QWERTY setting, or that the alternatives would be different enough to make a difference in this case. Glad you found it.

The microphone is for dictation, and as Kaykaykay said, not available on iPad 2 and older. You also need to be running iOS 5 or newer. And, it needs to be turned on. On iOS 5 I think it was under Settings > General > Keyboard, but I'm not certain. Under iOS 6 it gets turned on when you turn on Siri under Settings > General > Siri.

It's different because the 3rd generation iPad only had dictation under iOS 5. Full Siri support did not come until iOS 6.

Most reactions

Latest posts