What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

inotes app won’t work with iOS 11

Kaydi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I bitterly regret updating my iPad to iOS 11 as now I can’t access my iNotes app, when I click on it, it says to contact the developer as it needs updating but I have no way of doing this as it’s no longer in the AppStore and I can’t get into the app to find out who the developer is. I have a ton of important information stored in iNotes that I’m totally lost without but googling failed to find an answer to this problem. Please can anyone help?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I bitterly regret updating my iPad to iOS 11 as now I can’t access my iNotes app, when I click on it, it says to contact the developer as it needs updating but I have no way of doing this as it’s no longer in the AppStore and I can’t get into the app to find out who the developer is. I have a ton of important information stored in iNotes that I’m totally lost without but googling failed to find an answer to this problem. Please can anyone help?
Didn't you notice the pop ups that appeared whenever you opened the app while on iOS 10? It said that the app would not work in future versions of iOS.
Do you have a backup made before you updated to iOS 11? if you do and have or can get an iPad that can't be updated to iOS 11, such as the iPad 4, you could restore that iPad from the backup and should be able to access your notes.

OP
K

Kaydi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I haven’t had any pop ups saying the app wouldn’t work with future versions, I was using the app every day so certainly would have noticed if I had and would not have updated my iPad until I’d transferred all the information elsewhere.
No unfortunately I didn’t have a back up made before I updated

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I haven’t had any pop ups saying the app wouldn’t work with future versions, I was using the app every day so certainly would have noticed if I had and would not have updated my iPad until I’d transferred all the information elsewhere.

Hi Kaydi - welcome to the forum! :) First, I'm sorry that you lost your app and all of its data - :(

Second, Scifan.. is referring to the 'warnings' shown below (pics from web) - on the left is the reference mentioned; on the right, in pre-11 iOS versions, 'app compatibility' could be checked - before I upgraded my 3 iDevices, I deleted or replaced those that were 32-bit (or if necessary found another app w/ similar features). I'm not sure which 'iNotes' app you had installed previously (do you have a link?), but it should have given the warning or appeared in the compatibility list, if you looked? - the link might help to determine its 'bit spec'? Also, have you done a search on your now iOS 11.x iPad to make sure that the app is not hidden in a folder or on another page (I'm sure you did but no harm in asking). Dave

Screen Shot 2017-12-01 at 10.39.09 AM.png

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
This is what you would have seen every time you opened the app while on iOS 10.3.
check-your-iphone-for-32-bit-apps-wont-work-ios-11.w1456.jpg

Which iOS version were you on just before you updated to iOS 11?

OP
K

Kaydi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I definitely didn’t get any pop ups when I used the app before I updated to iOS 11 otherwise I would not have gone ahead with the update. I think I was on iOS 10.3 before updating, I regularly update each time I’m notified. J.A, no that is not the same app as my iNotes, mine is a brown pin board with white lined paper on it, I’ll try sending a screenshot...it gave an error notice saying the file is too large to process! The lined paper has a red margin line and the left hand corner is folded up showing the color green underneath.
Giradman, you asked if I’d done a search to see if the app may be hidden somewhere, no I haven’t done this as I’m not sure what you mean..how can I do this?

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I definitely didn’t get any pop ups when I used the app before I updated to iOS 11 otherwise I would not have gone ahead with the update. I think I was on iOS 10.3 before updating, I regularly update each time I’m notified. J.A, no that is not the same app as my iNotes, mine is a brown pin board with white lined paper on it, I’ll try sending a screenshot...it gave an error notice saying the file is too large to process! The lined paper has a red margin line and the left hand corner is folded up showing the color green underneath.
Giradman, you asked if I’d done a search to see if the app may be hidden somewhere, no I haven’t done this as I’m not sure what you mean..how can I do this?
Go to the homescreen, then perform a swipe downwards, to get to Spotlight Search:
50AF24D3-DD90-4E8E-B0AC-37E9B965C33B.png

Enter the name of the app. If it’s still on your iPad, and working, this will show where it is (folder).

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Since the iNotes app hasn’t been updated in over 4 years it’s unfortunately very likely that the app has been abandoned by it’s developer. In that case, you’ll not be able to access the app data that’s currently stored in the inaccessible app.

OP
K

Kaydi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi J.A.
I swiped downwards but instead of the spotlight search I got all my notifications, so many times when I follow advice like this my iPad seems to work differently and I find this so confusing! Anyway I eventually got the search by swiping sideways but there were no results.
I’ve sent an email to apple support asking if they can help, I can’t believe all my data may be lost forever, I have years of work in that app.

Jupiter7

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If you have been backing up to iCloud or iTunes, your files may still be accessible by restoring the iPad from that backup.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
If you have been backing up to iCloud or iTunes, your files may still be accessible by restoring the iPad from that backup.
That wouldn't work unless the backup was made while on iOS 10 and it was restored to an iPad that couldn't be updated to iOS 11. The OP stated that he made no backup while still on iOS 10.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If the app is still on the iPad, you may be able to access the content using iMazing and a computer. No promises. It depends on how the app was storing the files, and whether they are in a standard frormat: txt, rtf, etc.

iPhone File Transfer & iOS File System Browser | iMazing

I belive there is a trial version. I dont’ know if includes the File Transfer.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi J.A.
I swiped downwards but instead of the spotlight search I got all my notifications, so many times when I follow advice like this my iPad seems to work differently and I find this so confusing! Anyway I eventually got the search by swiping sideways but there were no results.
I’ve sent an email to apple support asking if they can help, I can’t believe all my data may be lost forever, I have years of work in that app.

Hi Kaydi - to open 'Spotlight', you need to be on a 'home screen' and swipe down from the 'middle' of the display and not the very top - assume that is what you did which brought up notifications. Dave :)

Most reactions

Latest posts