What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Info on OS

desertjim

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi All, Just joined this forum. I'm looking for a basic iPad for my wife real soon.

I see "new" ones on eBay for a hundred or so dollars under normal retail. I wonder:

1. Where did they acquire them that they can sell them at that price
2. If the iPads are an older version or have an older OS

Thanks for any info or recommendations. I'm sure you will see either my wife or I on here on a regular basis, soon.

Regards,

Jim

OP
desertjim

desertjim

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks!

Ok, that being said, how many of you are "sorry" that you got one with she lesser memory :(?

That's a lot of money for a toy to start with, but how long will 16G satisfy (smile)? Yeah, I know......depends on the use. If I restrict her memory then I will restrict her usage, right :)?

Has anyone purchased one from somewhere other than a registered dealer? What do you think :confused:?

Regards,

Jim

Wolfpuppies3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Not sorry at all I got 64 Gig of memory

Would have gotten more had it been available.

As to the price on EBay, there is something wrong with that picture, you know. There is no free lunch and Apple sells at only one price. If I chose to pay the price for mine and later put it on EBay at a reduced rate, well, that would make it used, no?

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
desertjim said:
Thanks!

Ok, that being said, how many of you are "sorry" that you got one with she lesser memory :(?

That's a lot of money for a toy to start with, but how long will 16G satisfy (smile)? Yeah, I know......depends on the use. If I restrict her memory then I will restrict her usage, right :)?

Has anyone purchased one from somewhere other than a registered dealer? What do you think :confused:?

Regards,

Jim

If she doesn't put a lot of music or video on it she should be fine. Depends what her usage will be. But then most of us are probably using it fairly differently from what we expected. Mine is way more than a consumer tablet. I do almost everything on it that I did with a laptop ((I do process my RAW photo files on my main computer in Lightroom and Photoshop) I did get a 64GB but am only about 1/2 full since early May wnd I have LOTS of apps of all kinds and lots of photos and other things like pdfs in Goodreader, .doc files in Office HD, etc. . I bought my husband a 32 GB and he has oodles of room but he does use it mainly for email, net surfing and reading, a few gsmes. We both have a lot of books on ours, both bought and library. I have almost no music on mine since I use my Touch for that and also for Pandora and Rhapsody. So--unless this is a surprise, I'd ask her what she "thinks" she'll use it for. I will say I think the 32GB is a good compromise.

Diane

OP
desertjim

desertjim

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Would have gotten more had it been available.

As to the price on , there is something wrong with that picture, you know. There is no free lunch and Apple sells at only one price. If I chose to pay the price for mine and later put it on EBay at a reduced rate, well, that would make it used, no?

The only ones I looked were "brand new in factory sealed box". I wrote to one of the sellers, and not trying to be a smart alec, ask him why I should buy an unknown unit from an unknown seller just to save a hundred bucks. I haven't heard back from him yet. I also ask him his source for the units he is selling. I thought it was a logical question, so if he doesn't make any sense or doesn't reply, forget it. He has no feedback, but there are others selling them that do.

Regards,

Jim

OP
desertjim

desertjim

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If she doesn't put a lot of music or video on it she should be fine. Depends what her usage will be. But then most of us are probably using it fairly differently from what we expected. Mine is way more than a consumer tablet. I do almost everything on it that I did with a laptop ((I do process my RAW photo files on my main computer in Lightroom and Photoshop) I did get a 64GB but am only about 1/2 full since early May wnd I have LOTS of apps of all kinds and lots of photos and other things like pdfs in Goodreader, .doc files in Office HD, etc. . I bought my husband a 32 GB and he has oodles of room but he does use it mainly for email, net surfing and reading, a few gsmes. We both have a lot of books on ours, both bought and library. I have almost no music on mine since I use my Touch for that and also for Pandora and Rhapsody. So--unless this is a surprise, I'd ask her what she "thinks" she'll use it for. I will say I think the 32GB is a good compromise.

Diane

She mostly emails and surfs. She loves to "farm" on Facebook, but I hear that won't be available, thankfully <smile>. Just a toy, that's all, but I want to get it for her as a birthday present. She got me an AK-47 and I needed it like a hole in the head.....although it could become more than a toy one of these days <smile>. So, you know how it goes. Buy something they don't need as a gift.

I'll only get the Wi-Fi, so she can use it here at home and while traveling in the RV as we take our connection (Wi-Fi) with us.

Thanks,

Jim

Fabytm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
farmville works on ipad with the farmville app.:p

It's free on the app store, it works on the iphone too!

OP
desertjim

desertjim

iPF Noob
Reaction score
farmville works on ipad with the farmville app.:p

It's free on the app store, it works on the iphone too!

Oh No! Woe is me! I'll never eat again:). Actually, she keeps me well fed, my tummy will attest to that.

Regards,

Jim

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
16gb should work if that's what she'll do most. She'll find other things LOL but judging from my husband's wifi 32GB he has used very little. Just checked his and with 29GB available, he has 27.7GB free LOL. He does use it every day quite a bit and loves it but uses it quite differently from me, but then we use computers for different purposes too.

Too bad about the Farmville app LOL. I have a friend that's into it.

Diane

Last edited:

Beamit2rob

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok,here is some food for thought and something to keep in mind you my or may not no about but the future will be a break away from memory we have just all been conditioned to pay more for more memory. But what I mean is your information ( music,pic,videos,doc,ect.) will be available in the cloud or through a secondary device like your laptop, wireless thumb drive,or wireless 1tb hard drive. These items are available now. I use two apps that I believe are free " air video " and "zumecast" the first is video only but zumecast allows you to wirelessly stream your files from your pc/laptop to your iPad thus freeing precious memory I use zumecast at the house on the same wireless network and I have been able to stream videos,music and pic. And it works pretty good. So I hope this helps if you purchase less memory and realize later you need more that there are options.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Even beyond streaming your own music, there is so much out there free to stream like Pandora, many many "radio" possibilities for music. I have recently opted for Rhapsody also instead of buying CDs/mp3s which will not be played much beyond a year. For anything long term (esp, classical or some jazz) I may buy my favorites but right now I stream Rhapsody or Pandora a lot. I connect to a radio or sound system in the house with RCA cable, USB, etc and play through them. There are even more possibilities with other systems, including Apple TV and more. You don't need to put your music on your Ipad. However if you want to listen offline not much choice--i keep my Touch for that and dl Rhapsody to it and use that in my car-also have my own music on it.

The cloud-yep. I live quite close to the new Apple server place in NC. Its huge. Much talk about it going to be used for "cloud" use for music snd video. As I have understood it, probably paying a fee similar to Rhapsody and having similar services but more. I read this is one reaeon Apple has not allowed a Spotify app. I have no way to verify this, but the rumor has been strong for a good while and I know how huge the Apple server farm is with room to expand even further.

Diane

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts