Infected with bot?

Discussion in 'iPad Help' started by Gabeline, Sep 28, 2011.

1. Gabeline

Gabeline
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Hi there. Several times I have gotten a popup message on my ipad from comcast constant guard saying one or more of my computers is infected with a bot and it invites me to visit comcast to learn more about malicious software. I have opened pdf files in the past but my ipad is certainly not jailbroken. Is there a way I can verify that there is a problem? And if there isn't a problem does anyone know why I would get this popup?

Thanks so much!

2. f4780y

f4780y
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    There is absolutely no way that your stock iPad has a bot or any other kind of malicious malware or virus installed on it. It is simply not possible as things stand today.

There is a fair amount of discussion on the comcast issue on the main Apple forum and the consensus seems to be that they are phising to scare you into purchasing unnecessary anti-virus products. I see no evidence that there is any legitimate bot activity in any of the reported occurrences of this. It sounds to me like you are safe to ignore it.

#2 f4780y, Sep 28, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2011
  3. Gabeline

Gabeline
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Thanks so much! It's gotten more frequent and annoying--now there isn't an "x" to close it...you have to visit the site to get it to go away. No time/patience to deal with them right now, though. Thanks for taking the time to answer me.

4. aherrer9

aherrer9
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Hello! Just to build on the reassurance, I go to school in Wyoming, but go home for long breaks. My family uses Comcast at home and I was receiving the same annoying blips; however, when I went back up to Laramie, Bresnan never bothered me with a warning or anything. Probably is, indeed, just phishing.

5. Gabeline

Gabeline
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Thanks, aherrer9! I actually haven't gotten this popup in a while, so perhaps enough people complained to comcast? Haha, probably not, but it's nice to not see it anymore.