Indianapolis, Eteljorg Museum, & Kachinas!

Discussion in 'Travel Stories' started by giradman, Oct 6, 2013.

1. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Well, try to watch The Magnificent Ambersons, if you have a chance (I own on DVD - no BD yet) - directed (in part - a problematic production) and narrated by Orson Welles.

The Tarkington Theatre is close to the Palladium from my previous post (see the aerial pic below) - the production we saw is running for about 2 weeks; again, this is community theater, i.e. the performers are local and likely are not being paid (or if so a minimal rate) - in my town, the local community productions are done by very good 'amateur' actors/singers - I'm always amazed when I view our local presentations, the amount of dedication these people offer at no price - Dave :)
    Screen Shot 2016-10-26 at 12.13.11 AM.png

2. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    November 2017 - return visit to see our son & DIL, just our usual 3-night stay - one afternoon we toured the Sun King Brewery in downtown Indianapolis, the city's only brewery although the state has dozens of craft beer makers. Our son signed up for the extended tour, which was just over an hour long and included the main building and also a smaller structure w/ their 'craft beers' aged in a variety of used oak barrels (bourbon, rum, wine, etc.). The business is only 8 years old but has had millions of dollars of expansion w/ numerous jacketed stainless steel fermenters - their output listed in the quotes below (from previous link) and the pic is 18,000 barrels but that was in 2012 - according to our excellent guide, if I recall correctly, Sun King is currently producing at least twice that amount w/ numerous distribution sites throughout Indiana and now into Chicago, Illinois.

Our tour included a nice tasting glass w/ their logo - we tried all 3 of their 'Active Beers' (see pic) and also one of the seasonal ones, i.e. Fistful of Hops (an Indian Pale Ale style, one of my favorite beers - love those hops!). We also tasted several of their craft barrel beers, which were somewhat weird (and experimental in my mind) - these are sold in screw-top cans at a premium price (like $20+ for two cans) only at the brewery. A deli-style restaurant just opened (couple of pics below) which we did not try, but probably will on our next visit. There was also a small gift shop and we picked up some tee-shirts and several 4-can cartons, including the hoppy one. Next year the company is opening a distillery in Carmel where our son lives, so that may be a visit too. For those reading this thread and are in or near Indy (and enjoy beer), then a visit is highly recommended (sign up for a tour online or call). Dave :)

SunKing1.png SunKing2.png SunKing3.png SunKing4.JPG SunKing5.png SunKing6.jpg

#12 giradman, Nov 13, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2017
  3. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Indiana State Museum, IMAX Theater, & Poison Exhibit

On our second day, we headed downtown to the 'museum' area (first pic) - our goal was a visit to the Indiana State Museum, but adjacent is the outstanding Eiteljorg Museum, described briefly below from the link and also the topic of my first post in this thread - we've been there at least three times in the past and highly recommended.

In the Indiana State Museum, we visited the 'state cultural exhibit' on the second floor; the first floor exhibits were being renovated (as described in the pic) - BUT, the cultural area is well done w/ a chronologic history and display of the state of Indiana through several centuries (pics below from the web - forgot to bring my camera, although I could have used Susan's iPhone) - we also saw an amazing IMAX film (the state's largest screen in this format) and a great 'traveling' exhibit centered on 'poisons' - topics of next post(s). Dave :)

ISM0.jpg ISM1b.jpg ISM1a.JPG ISM2a.jpg ISM2b.jpg ISM2c.png ISM2d.jpg ISM2e.jpg ISM2f.jpg ISM2g.JPG ISM2h.jpg ISM2i.jpg

4. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    IMAX Theater @ Indiana State Museum

The IMAX theater at the Indiana State Museum is huge and curved offering a fantastic viewing screen (see first quote below) - we attended the 11AM showing of the 3D film Amazon Adventure about the English 19th century naturalist, Henry Walter Bates (second quote below + YouTube video) - the film was indeed amazing and a joy to watch, especially based on a real life character and on a topic that has been an interest to me since my teen days decades ago. If you have a chance to see this film in this format (and in 3D), then don't miss the opportunity. Dave :)

IMAX1.jpg IMAX2.png IMAX3.png IMAX4.jpg IMAX5.jpg IMAX6.jpg IMAX7.jpg IMAX8.jpg

5. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Power of Poison - Traveling Exhibit

Another attraction at the Indiana State Museum was the traveling exhibit The Power of Poison described in the quotes below. Originally presented at the American Museum of Natural History in New York City several years ago - now making tour stops. The exhibit starts w/ poisons in nature (plants, animals, etc.) and continues with poison in myth & legend, then onto villains and victims, and ending with poison for good - a fascinating presentation that we hurried through too fast (crowded on a Saturday afternoon) - I could have easily spent an afternoon there - also highly recommended. Dave :)

Poison1.jpg Poison2.jpg Poison3.jpg Poison4.jpg Poison5.jpg Poison6.jpeg

6. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    When most people think of Indianapolis they think of the Indy 500, not museums like this. Thanks for showing us that there’s so much more in Indianapolis than car racing.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  7. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Hi Scifan.. - our first visit to Indianapolis was in 1992 when we took our son to Indiana University in Bloomington for his freshman year - we toured the Motor Speedway which included a van tour on the 2 1/2 mile track - I've never been back in our many visits to Indianapolis over 20 years or so since our son and DIL have lived in the city, nor have they ever gone to the race - frequently they plan an 'out of town' activity to avoid the crowd - according to the link, the Speedway "has a permanent seating capacity estimated at 235,000 with infield seating raising capacity to an approximate 400,000. It is the highest-capacity sports venue in the world." There is also the Brickyard Crossing Golf Resort w/ four of the holes on the infield of the race course.

So, there is much more to do in Indy than attend a car race - ;) Some examples shown in the pics - the Canal is beautiful although we've never 'boated' on the water; the Zoo is worth a visit and is near the downtown museums; we occasionally go to the Museum of Art, especially if there is a special exhibit. Our son is a huge Colts fans and has tons of memorabilia in his basement 'man's cave' - the Presidential Benjamin Harrison House can be toured (which we attempted but no docent was present - must go back). There are certainly other activities, plenty of good restaurants, and interesting surrounding communities and state historic sites which we have not explored much (need a longer visit than 3 nights) - thus for someone or a family w/ no interest in car racing (including us), there is plenty to do in and around the city. Of course, Indianapolis is the state capitol and its building(s) can be toured, which we not done at least yet. Dave :)

Indy2.jpg Indy3.jpg Indy4.png Indy5.jpg Indy6.jpg Indy7.jpg Indy8.jpg

8. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Gennett Records - Starr Piano Company - Richmond, Indiana

Richmond, Indiana is a small town on the Ohio state border (see map), first famous for the Starr Piano Company (first quote), and then in 1917 for its phonographic offshoot, Gennett Records (last two quotes) - now, I've never visited the town, but have had many jazz & blues recordings made there in my CD collection for years.

When at the gift shop of the Indiana State Museum, I purchased the book shown below, Jelly Roll, Bix & Hoagy - Gennett Records and the Rise of America's Musical Grassroots by Rick Kennedy - a revised and expanded edition - just amazing what came out of their 'primitive' recording studio - at the moment, I'm listening to the 4-CD compilation remastered and produced by JSP of 1922-1930 recordings (last pic below). We really need to explore the 'environs' of Indianapolis on our next visits there - Dave :)

RichmondIN_1a.png RichmondIN_1b.jpg RichmondIN_1c.jpg RichmondIN_1d.jpg RichmondIN_1e.jpg RichmondIN_1f.jpg RichmondIN_1g.jpg RichmondIN_2a.jpg RichmondIN_2b.jpg RichmondIN_2c.jpg RichmondIN_2d.jpg RichmondIN_2e.png RichmondIN_2f.png RichmondIN_2g.jpg

#18 giradman, Nov 18, 2017 at 12:43 PM
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2017 at 3:53 PM
  9. suenc

suenc
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    I enjoyed sampling the beers. Their “experimental” citrus beer was mouth-puckering--it will never hit the market. The brewery was small and friendly. Indianapolis has some interesting sites, but you do have to do a little hunting.

#19 suenc, Nov 18, 2017 at 6:41 PM
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2017 at 6:53 PM
  10. suenc

suenc
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Do you think they would let me play one? ;) I played Frank Lloyd Wright’s piano at Taliesin West in Arizona.