Indianapolis, Eteljorg Museum, & Kachinas!

Discussion in 'Travel Stories' started by giradman, Oct 6, 2013.

1. giradman

giradman iPad Guru

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +882 / 0
    Hi All - Susan & I just returned from a visit to our son who lives w/ his wife (and 2 cats) in Indianapolis (largest city & capital of the state of Indiana in the mid-west USA) - been visiting there for about 15 years - did a return visit to the Eiteljorg Museum dedicated to Western & Native American Indian Art & Culture - pic below - for those in the 'vicinity' a recommended stop - great paintings and other art forms (e.g. bronze western sculptures by the likes of Frederic Remington - see his 'Bronco Buster' below!).

BUT, one of our personal interests are Kachina (or Katsina) carvings, especially by the Hopi Indian artists of the Southwest - the Hopi Mesas (three) are in northern Arizona (east of the Grand Canyon) - these represent 'spirits' related to the Pueblo Indian religious and cosmological beliefs (whole books are written on the topic and the artists who created these cotton wood carvings - we own about 9 Kachinas now - nearly all Hopi - which are the most expensive ones to buy) - BUT, we bought one @ the Eitejorg Museum a number of years ago called Saviki - below are additional images of our den fireplace mantle w/ all of the kachinas plus a beautiful stone sculpture & a painted pot - frontal pose of the Saviki kachina & the signed bottom. For those interested, I'll be glad to post more 'close-ups' of the other kachinas. Dave :)

Eiteljorg_Museum_sign.JPG frederic-remington-bronco.jpg

P1010466.JPG P1010460.JPG P1010465.JPG
    • Like Like x 1
  2. MoonlitSonata

MoonlitSonata Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +153 / 0
    Awesome! I'm from Indy. :)
  3. giradman

giradman iPad Guru

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +882 / 0
    Hi - small world! :D Son lives in Carmel - nice Indy location w/ plenty of good restaurants - our 2 favorites this time were Stone Creek (near his house and our 4th visit over the years) & Ocean Prime - a first time experience - 3 in the group had steaks which were perfectly cook; I had seared tuna very rare - delicious - rather expensive but would return again. Dave :)
  4. MoonlitSonata

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +153 / 0
    I'm way far south of Carmel but I have family up there. Hate the traffic so much! Lol I'm a city gal (originally from near downtown) but country implant.
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2013
  5. giradman

giradman iPad Guru

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +882 / 0
    Son & DIL use to live in Avon but a long commute to their jobs - now up north, they have just a 5-10 minute drive each - Indy is really 'spread out' but for a big city does not take too long to get to places w/ the new airport just a half hour away from them - :) Dave
  6. MoonlitSonata

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +153 / 0
    Love Avon. I'm about 20 min from there.