Indianapolis, Eteljorg Museum, & Kachinas!

Discussion in 'Travel Stories' started by giradman, Oct 6, 2013.

1. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Hi All - Susan & I just returned from a visit to our son who lives w/ his wife (and 2 cats) in Indianapolis (largest city & capital of the state of Indiana in the mid-west USA) - been visiting there for about 15 years - did a return visit to the Eiteljorg Museum dedicated to Western & Native American Indian Art & Culture - pic below - for those in the 'vicinity' a recommended stop - great paintings and other art forms (e.g. bronze western sculptures by the likes of Frederic Remington - see his 'Bronco Buster' below!).

BUT, one of our personal interests are Kachina (or Katsina) carvings, especially by the Hopi Indian artists of the Southwest - the Hopi Mesas (three) are in northern Arizona (east of the Grand Canyon) - these represent 'spirits' related to the Pueblo Indian religious and cosmological beliefs (whole books are written on the topic and the artists who created these cotton wood carvings - we own about 9 Kachinas now - nearly all Hopi - which are the most expensive ones to buy) - BUT, we bought one @ the Eitejorg Museum a number of years ago called Saviki - below are additional images of our den fireplace mantle w/ all of the kachinas plus a beautiful stone sculpture & a painted pot - frontal pose of the Saviki kachina & the signed bottom. For those interested, I'll be glad to post more 'close-ups' of the other kachinas. Dave :)

Eiteljorg_Museum_sign.JPG frederic-remington-bronco.jpg

P1010466.JPG P1010460.JPG P1010465.JPG

2. MoonlitSonata

MoonlitSonata
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Awesome! I'm from Indy. :)

3. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Hi - small world! :D Son lives in Carmel - nice Indy location w/ plenty of good restaurants - our 2 favorites this time were Stone Creek (near his house and our 4th visit over the years) & Ocean Prime - a first time experience - 3 in the group had steaks which were perfectly cook; I had seared tuna very rare - delicious - rather expensive but would return again. Dave :)

4. MoonlitSonata

MoonlitSonata
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    I'm way far south of Carmel but I have family up there. Hate the traffic so much! Lol I'm a city gal (originally from near downtown) but country implant.

#4 MoonlitSonata, Oct 7, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2013
  5. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Son & DIL use to live in Avon but a long commute to their jobs - now up north, they have just a 5-10 minute drive each - Indy is really 'spread out' but for a big city does not take too long to get to places w/ the new airport just a half hour away from them - :) Dave

6. MoonlitSonata

MoonlitSonata
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Love Avon. I'm about 20 min from there.

7. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Below is a post I left a year ago on a visit to our son in Indianapolis - then, we saw a great show w/ Frank Sinatra Jr. at the beautiful Palladium Theater in Carmel (a northern suburb of Indy), and had another new experience, i.e. a movie at the Flix Brewhouse - expand the quote to view the pics.

Well, we just returned from our annual visit to our son & DIL and will next add a few 'new' posts for 2016! Dave :)

8. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Carmel, Indiana Visit for 2016!

As mentioned in previous posts, including the one quoted previously from our 2015 visit, our son & DIL live in Carmel, Indiana, a northern suburb of Indianapolis (expand the quote for a nice map). We returned to the Flix Brewhouse for lunch, an in-house beer, and a movie - then also had a 'new' experience attending a musical at the Booth Tarkington Civic Theatre, subject of the next post.

The Flix Brewhouse is a great experience and our second trip - the complex is a combination of an in-house brewery w/ numerous beer selections, a restaurant, and multiple movie theaters. 'Waiters' come to your seat to take orders - the food selection is unexpectedly good and the beers excellent; in the Carmel structure, full-extension pullout tables are present (pic below does not show that particular feature) - our son, Stephen and I had one of their lighter brews.

We saw the true story 'disaster film' about the Deepwater Horizon explosion - the construction of the set was remarkable and the scenes of the destruction of the rig remarkably done - short synopsis quoted below; and just a few pics w/ one describing the near to scale rig in a gigantic water tank - still seemed quite realistic - a recommendation.

For those in the area w/ a yearning for home-made local beers (and a meal/movie combo), give the place a try - we plan to return next year! Dave :)

Flix_1.JPG Flix_2.jpg Flix_3.png Flix_4.jpg Flix_5.jpg Flix_6.jpg

9. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Carmel Visit 2016 - continued:

On our last night after an excellent sushi dinner for me, we attended a performance of the musical Young Frankenstein at the smaller but beautiful Booth Tarkington Civic Theatre - this is actually part of the parking lot structure and is in a complex w/ the Palladium Theater. Of course, the musical is based on the Mel Brooks film 'Young Frankenstein' from 1974; he wrote the music and lyrics for the musical.

The Tarkington Theatre is a community effort supporting local talent (see quote below and the video link, if interested). In all honesty (we have a lot of community theater in our home town of Winston-Salem), this production was excellent for a 'local' performance - the stage settings, choreography, singing, acting, etc. were all outstanding - I would probably rate this musical experience on par w/ traveling musicals that Susan & I have seen in Charlotte and Durham in North Carolina. I would definitely want to return next year if there is a show of interest.

Booth Tarkington (1869-1946) was an American dramatist and novelist, and was born (and died) in Indianapolis, hence the naming of the theatre. He was awarded two Pulitzer Prizes in 1919 and 1922 for his novels, The Magnificent Ambersons & Alice Adams, both made into movies - the former is a must recommendation IMHO. Only two other authors received two of these prizes, i.e. William Faulkner and John Updike. Dave :)

BoothTarkington_1.jpg BoothTarkington_2.png BoothTarkington_3.jpg BoothTarkington_4.png BoothTarkington_5.jpg BoothTarkington_6.jpeg BoothTarkington_7.jpg BoothTarkington_8.jpg

10. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    It sounds like a very interesting place to visit. Of the two movies based on Booth Tarkington's books I've seen Alice Adams but not The Magnificent Ambersons.

Do these shows have a long run before the next production begins?