What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Incomplete charging cycle

sami

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,

Sometimes I need to use my IPAD while it is charging,so I discontinue the charger before charging reaches 100%,,, Is that bad(for the battery lifespan).

Thanks and best regards,
Sami

gray_mouse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hola. Can't say for sure about iPad, but being an IT tech I can tell you that

a) device must charge fully, and be kept at full charge as often as you can. For example my ipad is charging during night.

b) once a month or so let the battery discharge until your unit turns off and then immediately charge it fully. Makes battery last longer.

I think your charging strategy is wrong. My iPad lasts me the whole day, I come home with 50% charge available. Today I have 88% left. I play with it now until I go to sleep, then I put it charging for the whole night. In the morning it will be 100% and ready to be used for the whole day.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I thought for the iPad you didnt need to let the battery deplete then recharge?

Apple recommends you do so about once a month. It has nothing to do with battery maintenance or longevity. It is just a way to keep the software calibrated so that it reports your remaining battery time accurately.

Stephen19

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok, could I have some clarity please. My battery strategy is to fully charge to 100% then use and run down until under 10%, normally under 5% before a full charge again. Last time it ran down so far and turned itself off as so low! Lasts a full 10 hours use crom full and charges in four.

So I was happy with this BUT it would be easier to charge up constantly from 50% or so as another poster does since sometimes I want it in day when on charge...

Advise please so that battery life maximised. Thanks.
S

Sent from my iPad using iPF

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Lithium-ion batteries do not need to go through regular discharge/recharge cycles like the old nicads. They actually get slightly better life if they are charged often, though the difference isn't likely to be enough to go to the trouble. At least not on a device that you will probably only use for two to three years.

When the documentation refers to charge cycles, it does not mean each time you plug the device in. It is referring to how many times the batter goes through a 100% of it's capacity. For instance, if you ran the iPad down to 50% each day and then recharged at night you would only be using one charge cycle in two days.

The iPad's battery is rated at 1000 cycles, after which it should retain 80% of it's original capacity. That's almost three years, and the battery should still have enough capacity for over 7 hours of normal use. (We iPad users are so spoiled that acutely sound bad, doesn't it. A year ago that was pretty decent for a netbook, let alone a laptop.)

Of course, batteries do go bad for reasons other than charge cycles. YMMV

Last edited:

Most reactions