What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Incomplete backup to iCloud

tecknoes

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.teckno.net
I keep getting "Incomplete Backup" to iCloud on both my iPad and iPhone.

I've gone through all the recommended procedures, shut down auto backup on both, and restarted it on both, deleted the backups on my my iCloud account using iCloud on my PC, made sure the WiFi (8Mbit) was working and the iPhone and iPad were locked and plugged into the chargers.

Any suggestions please ........ Frustrated with !!!

Sent from my iPad using iPF

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I had this happening for a while on the iPhone. Like you I had to delete my old iCloud backup, but I did it by drilling down into the iCloud settings on the iPad. I then found a place to set the device where it had a good wi-fi signal and internet service (not always the same thing at my place), and forced a backup (also from iCloud settings).

I also went through the apps and trimmed out stuff that I didn't really care whether it got backed up or not. This reduced the size of the next backup by about 350MB.

My phone is typically plugged into power next to the bed. The wi-fi signal isn't as good there, so I'm assuming the backup got corrupted (or something).

I've had reliable auto-backups for about a month since I did this.

Hope this gives you some ideas to try.

Good luck.

OP
tecknoes

tecknoes

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.teckno.net
Hi twerppoet, thanks for the info, backup on both is showing as "never" but after deleting the data it show 1.3gig taken out of the 5gig, but the backup as incomplete.

Had a look for the way you "drilled down" into iCloud on the iPad but couldn't see where you went.

I have Googled the problem and it seems there's load of people with the same problem, but I can't see a definitive solution

Nos Vemos .................. Gerry N
Sent from my iPad

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Settings > iCloud > Backup & Storage

You'll find the switch to turn on/off iCloud backupas and a button to force a backup here.

continuing drilling down to

Manage Storage

Here you will see a list of devices backed up, your Documents & Data apps (select for details and delete options, delete only if you can't do so in the apps themselves), and your Mail storage.

Now select your device under the Backups list.

Here you will see your current backup size, an estimate of the next backup size, and a list of all apps being backed up. You can turn off any apps you don't need or want backed up to reduce the size of the next backup. I highly recommend doing this. A smaller backup is less likely to have problems.

You can also delete your current backup from this page. Also recommended, if there is anything to delete.

OP
tecknoes

tecknoes

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.teckno.net
Hi again Twerppoet

iPad
Took out about 90% of the data and eureka success, at the moment it's doing a much bigger backup as I've included another app that has a lot of data attached that I took out for the test, fingers crossed it saying 5 hours to go............. update before posting it's finished!

IPhone
Still zilch, it says the next backup is 42mb after I've removed most of the data, but it won't complete and says backup "never". Trying again tomorrow.

Thanks again for your invaluabe help. A lot of us would be scratching around in the dark if the forum didn't have guys like you!

Gerry N

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
No problem. It took several tries before I convinced my iPhone to backup again. At one point I went back to iTunes for a manual backup, just to make sure I had one.

Good luck.

Most reactions

Latest posts