What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Incase Book Jacket for Ipad 2

Guppus

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This was a hard item to locate but Best Buy had one left and for $40. A bargain since the iPad 1 book jacket is $60 there.

Nice leather case which props for viewing. I'm happy with mine.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That was a seriously good deal! One of my kids lives in the US so I've sent him off to Best Buy to see if they have any left that he can get for me.

Thanks for letting us know.

Tim
Scotland

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Guppus said:

I remember this one - they produce a very striking white cover for this model. However, it is not real leather - the company's own product page does not mention the word at all, and the price is a bit on the low side to be genuine leather.

gforeman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This was a hard item to locate but Best Buy had one left and for $40. A bargain since the iPad 1 book jacket is $60 there.

But don't they SMELL terrible! I'm still airing mine out. Kind of smells like diesel fuel!

Last edited:

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
But don't they SMELL terrible! I'm still airing mine out. Kind of smells like diesel fuel!

If the material used on the Incase is bonded leather, then it is actually a composite of reject-grade leather "bonded" to a polyurethane compound, which is a kind of thermoplastic. As petroleum is one of the main raw ingredients used in the manufacture of such materials, that's probably where the "fuel smell" is coming from.

OP
G

Guppus

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Funny, mine looks like leather and smells like leather with a nice soft suede inner lining. If they make fake stuff this good then who cares. Save a cow.

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Guppus said:
Funny, mine looks like leather and smells like leather with a nice soft suede inner lining. If they make fake stuff this good then who cares. Save a cow.

Unfortunately bonded leather does contain animal components - the low-grade parts of the hide after it has been split which is too inferior for making premium products. This leather is then bonded with polyurethane (hence the name) and used as a form of synthetic leather. It's a bit like diamonds and cubic zirconium: they may look the same to an untrained eye, but in terms of quality and value they are entirely worlds apart.

The disadvantage is that bonded leather does not have the durability or resistance of genuine leather - for example, genuine leather like aniline resists wear and scuffing very well, and any scars can be repaired. Synthetic leather, on the other hand, generally cannot be remedied the same way, which means it deteriorates *much* faster. And certainly, there are both users who do care and are willing to pay for a genuine quality product, as well as those who are satisfied to have something which is (vaguely) 'leather' yet cheaply available.

Most reactions