What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Inaudible Calendar Alert

AngusRT

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Please be gentle with me, this is my first post here.

I am enjoying my new iPad but one aspect is really bugging me, the all but inaudible "peep peep" that is the event alert in the calendar, I am still using my old Palm Z22 as my diary as the calendar alarm is hopeless.

I have tried to look for solutions and have found several references to this issue but no solution other than to buy a new app. I would do this but I have wasted a fair amount of money already with apps that are disappointing so want to get the right one if that is what it takes (eg Year Calendar).

Is there a way to improve the alert sound in Calendar or some app to enhance it?

Angus

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum! There are a lot of great people here willing to lend a hand anytime. Often using the Advanced Search box (at the top of every page) will lead you to the answers you're looking for. If not, feel free to post a question in the appropriate area.

Please take a moment to view the information here to get the most out of your iPad as well as our forum:

Forum Rules - Please read
Hacking Rules - Please read
iPad for Beginners
Free iPad User Manuals
Download The Official iPad Forum App

BTW, I moved your post to the iPad Help area where you’re likely to get a better response to your question.

Welcome again and enjoy!

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
First of all, you can always get a refund for any apps that have failed to meet your expectations. Just call the toll-free Apple Support line with the transaction reference number and you'll be given a refund as a credit to your iTunes account.

Are you talking about the iPad's native Calendar app? I use Informant HD which has a configurable alert sound (it can even play a tune or a musical instrument or a telephone chime sound). Have a look at the User Manual, which is available from the Developer's web site, to see if it could meet your needs.

It sits 'on top of' the native calendar app, so any events in that app are displayed and acted upon by Informant HD too.

Tim

OP
A

AngusRT

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Tim

Yes, I looked at Informant, but it is quite expensive and the customer feedback is not good with 5 out of 9 ratings being a one star and only one 4 star and reports of bugs. I will look into it more.

Angus

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The two top calendar apps mentioned on Ipf are Pocket Informant and Smartpad. I'm afraid both are highly priced but if you find a cheaper version that you think is better, we would love to know about it. We love hearing members reviews of apps.

Personally, I have Pocket Informant which I have found to be good for me as I teach science and need to keep up to date with my meetings, classes etc...

Sent from my iPad using iPF

OP
A

AngusRT

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello Hayles66

Are the audio alerts in Informant customisable/audible? The "top features" list does not mention alarms.

Angus

Late edit: Oops, just remembered that Tim mentioned exactly this topic a few posts back. Sorry to waste time.

Last edited:

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yes, they are! You have a long list of various sounds and you can choose when it reminds you from a day to 5 mins or so. I have found it very reliable. Too many features to mention. I wouldn't want to go back to the default Apple calendar as PI has fine tuned the calendar to be more accurate down to minutes rather than every 5 mins. I realise money is an issue but I was in the same boat. I haven't regretted spending money on this app. Your problem is whether you buy PI or Smartpad as my friend on here Gabriel1 who is a moderator swears by Smartpad. I can't recommend that app as I don't have it but research is your friend. There are other threads on this so I would look there too. I can't remember the thread names though. Use the google search found at the top right on the Ipf website. Very useful feature.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
It does not seem to have been mentioned, so I thought I'd point out that you can set your alert volume and the sounds for the various stock app in Settings > General > Sounds.

I don't remember if iOS 4 let you choose different sounds for the Calendar, but iOS 5 does. That means you can pick a more penetrating (annoying) sound if needed. You can even use purchased ringtones or alerts.

(My current favorite ringtone is The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly.)

When you set the volume for your Ringers and Alerts you can turn off Change with Buttons, which will guarantee the alert sounds will be as loud as you set them, no matter what you have the overall volume level set to (aside from mute anyway).

Last edited:
OP
A

AngusRT

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Twerppoet

Brilliant! You have solved my problem at no cost. There was silly me looking for setting under "Mail, Contacts and Calendars" for a suitable setting. I must read the manual more thoroughly one day.

One minor problem, having cranked up the volume, I have had to turn off the keyboard clicks which were a little too loud.

Thanks

Angus

Last edited:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Glad it worked for you.

If you've got iOS 5 you could try going through the different alert sounds, looking for the loudest. Then you could turn the overall volume back down a notch, and maybe the keyboard would be acceptable. I kind of like the click feedback myself, but can live without it.

Yptcn

iPF Novice
Reaction score
When you set the volume for your Ringers and Alerts you can turn off Change with Buttons, which will guarantee the alert sounds will be as loud as you set them, no matter what you have the overall volume level set to (aside from mute anyway).[/QUOTE]

Now this is brilliant ! I had no idea ;-))))

Most reactions

Latest posts