What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Inappropriate times for iPad use, or any other tablet

Kathryn4812

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Last night I went to the Bridgewater Hall to a Halle Orchestra concert. Lovely it was. I was sitting in the side-circle and in the stalls was a man with his iPad or whatever. Obviously, from that distance, one man and his Pad didn't bother me, but I was glad he wasn't anywhere near me. I had a vision of a concert-hall full of glowing oblongs!

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I guess the only possible excuse would be if he was a critic and was writing his review of the concert.

Tim

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The proper etiquette, IMO is probably the same as cell phones. Although, phones are noisier, especially if talking. In a doctors office or something - go for it. At the DMV - have fun. At a concert? No - you should be enjoying the concert. At the movies or some other public performance? No...leave the iPad at home!

OP
Kathryn4812

Kathryn4812

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tim SPRACKLEN said:
I guess the only possible excuse would be if he was a critic and was writing his review of the concert.

Tim

Yes, I wondered if he was a critic, but even so....

Reading along with the score, or reading anything else definitely not acceptable.

Playdoh

iPF Noob
Reaction score
One can do worse. I have, on occasion, encountered people who watch videos on their iPad while commuting on a crowded train. That's usually still ok, but more often than not, they're so engrossed with their videos that they don't realise that they're obstructing other passages from aligning or moving around the train.

AdmiralAdama

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Near the Ionian Nebula, still searching for Earth
Definitely boorish behaviour. If he's a critic there should be a special seating ( working ) area for the media. Especially at a venue
like Bridgewater Hall.

I see Bridgewater is hosting an evening with David Hasselhoff in February. Interesting selection.

AA

OP
Kathryn4812

Kathryn4812

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Playdoh said:
One can do worse. I have, on occasion, encountered people who watch videos on their iPad while commuting on a crowded train. That's usually still ok, but more often than not, they're so engrossed with their videos that they don't realise that they're obstructing other passages from aligning or moving around the train.

Yeah, but that's the new behaviour isn't it. 90% of the population seem to have their eyes down and ears plugged these days. I wonder that here aren't more deaths!

Beryl

iPF Novice
Reaction score
IMO, it is a non-issue during the intermission or before the performance begins. Performances need no avoidable distractions.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Kathryn4812 said:
Last night I went to the Bridgewater Hall to a Halle Orchestra concert. Lovely it was. I was sitting in the side-circle and in the stalls was a man with his iPad or whatever. Obviously, from that distance, one man and his Pad didn't bother me, but I was glad he wasn't anywhere near me. I had a vision of a concert-hall full of glowing oblongs!

My money is on them being a moderator of this forum!

The Archangel

OP
Kathryn4812

Kathryn4812

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Beryl said:
IMO, it is a non-issue during the intermission or before the performance begins. Performances need no avoidable distractions.

I wouldn't have mentioned it, had it not been during the performance.

kierandill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
He was probably doing the same thing that some doofus at my daughter's orchestra last year was doing with a Macbook - video recording it with the camera. This guy at my daughter's event had to hold the laptop facing the stage as he recorded with the webcam. What a maroon. A nin-cow-poop.

OP
Kathryn4812

Kathryn4812

iPF Noob
Reaction score
kierandill said:
He was probably doing the same thing that some doofus at my daughter's orchestra last year was doing with a Macbook - video recording it with the camera. This guy at my daughter's event had to hold the laptop facing the stage as he recorded with the webcam. What a maroon. A nin-cow-poop.

Oh no, he wasn't that bad. I think he would've been removed PDQ.

Amazing the things parents will do though!

Most reactions